Delco 808 ignition only setup

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Delco 808 ignition only setup

Post by immortality »

Hey all,

Can a delco 808 be used to run the ignition system only?

Reason I ask is that at the speedway the rules require the guys to use a carby and they basically set the timing by moving the CAS to get timing advance, however it is locked which isn't really that efficient.

If I can get the delco to run the ignition only then I can program a decent timing curve :)

Cheers
Holden202T

Re: Delco 808 ignition only setup

Post by Holden202T »

yes you can .... question is though, what motor is this on, and also are you able to run any of the 808 sensors, ie. map sensor etc
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

It is a Holden 3800 (VP i think) that has been converted to run a carby as per the category rules (top cut of standard manifold and adaptor welded on). Still runs the original DFI/coil set up but with no ecu the timing would be locked at one setting wouldn't it? I know that some of the guys move the CAS sensor to get more timing advance.

I figure the biggest hassle will be fitting a TPS, all the other original sensors shouldn't be a huge problem.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

if you did that itd definitely be a cut above hte rest. would work no problems at all, just mask the codes for shit thats not hooked up like o2 sensor.
gee itd be crap with module only, I think they run 10 ? deg with no ecu plugged in :wtf:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

geez, some classes are so backwards :P

yeah so cranking the advance would be as normal then once it starts it would normally get more timing as per the ecm, but in this case would be locked at the cranking advance, so you would be probably running with 10 degrees advance all the time :S

i think to be perfect you'd want, cts, map and tps, oh and a rpm signal which will be no problems but can also probably run it without CTS if you had to.

i'd say your right getting the tps connected will be the biggest issue.

just out of interest what class is this that runs these ?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

im converting a speedway car to ecu controlled spark as well mate after its killed its 3rd engine from bashing the bigends to death at 34 degrees locked timing LOL .they just move the reluctor rings round on the balancer and check timing with timing light till they get there max timing figure they want.it wont be hard to run just spark without the tps
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
VNracer34G
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

SNZ Stock Cars rules don't allow you to fit a TPS, its gotta figure it out from the MAP sensor, a couple of years ago delcowizzid sorted me out with a couple of chips for a freind that have been working well, theres an older thread on the topic here, https://pcmhacking.net/forums/view ... ?f=12&t=28
Long time no hear Immortality - still got your VN?
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

map sensor and rpm pulse should be enough anyways to get a better setup than a fixed value!