REALTIME VX-VY n/a PCM

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
VX L67 Getrag

Re: REALTIME VX-VY n/a PCM

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

To rule out other contributing factors, I’ll put the file on a memcal & see if it runs… when I get a chance!
The1

Post by The1 »

was 1:1 when i checked and standard memcal let me datalog on bench. But pays for you to check to.
The1

Post by The1 »

i bought 2 of those plcc to dip adapters i just checked mine and it's def 1:1 pin.
The1

Post by The1 »

antus wrote:could be connections, could be the cable is too long. Most of the pins should be available on that 2 row header at the bottom of the pic. It'd be a pain in the butt, but you could scratch the coating off the top of them and check each of the necessary pins on the ostrich end is present on one of the header pins.

You'd need to look at the datasheet to see which are relevant - data, address, we, ce etc. Also DIP32to PLCC32 might be proprietary to whatever programmer its designed for, it might not be 1:1. Ive had a look at this datasheet, it seems the flash chip is 1:1 so first I'd verify the adapter is also 1:1 then go deeper.
I dont think the connection is to long as it used to work for Getrag when the ribbon was soldered to the plcc pins on the board, unless the socket and adapter are giving to much resistance? But i know it works myself before i sent it down as i tried a normal memcal in the socket and i could connect no worries.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

yeah the shape of the path of the data does strange analog things to the signal too. And there are a few right angles in that one now. While it might not be enough to stop it, it might be enough to stop it working with that much length if it's on the edge. You'd need to put a scope on it to see what it looks like. I know BDM at 3mhz is very picky about cable length, and I assume the flash is running at speeds in that kind of ballpark. Just a thought, for after the connections and configuration are verified.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Ok so I just quad stacked the same file I had on the ostrich & put it on an AM29F040B chip & put that directly on adapter & it ran fine in the car…. Seems silly as that ribbon cable is definitely shorter than the cable that VL400 directly soldered for me years ago!
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

I’m starting to wonder if it’s possibly the ostrich since it does have marks on some of the pins from moisture damage & maybe that other PCM that vl400 did for me may have been ok & it’s just noise from ostrich causing the issue?
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It could be the signal path through the stack of adapters. This is on the limit of my understanding, but I think it's adding resonance or capacitance which can be affecting signal timing, so that and the cable might both be within tolerances individually, but not together.

If you want to test the ostrich, try it in a memcal VT PCM.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Ken

Post by Ken »

To back what Antus posted earlier about the length of ribbon, some years ago I made a bios chip flashing adaptor using floppy cable as the connecting cable, anything greater than 6 inches in length resulted in programming errors, just a thought on my own experience using floppy ribbon.
MyProg1.JPG
MyProg1.JPG (36.13 KiB) Viewed 8980 times
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah I used the ostrich on a vz w2a l67 flawlessly for over a week just 1 week ago so on that it was fine!