Mint VP V6 Sedan soon to be boosted!

Post any other rides you have here
Holden202T

Re: Mint VP V6 Sedan soon to be boosted!

Post by Holden202T »

well good and bad news!

went for a drive the other night with him on 14psi and once it gets to about 10psi you can reallly feel it hauling ass!

the bad news is he said that it didn't feel like it was going as good as it did a few nights before (i hadn't been in it previously on 14psi) so anyways, got back to his place and we could smell some burning, turns out there was about 2ltrs of sump oil on the firewall/brake booster etc ....... :thumbdown:

not exactly sure yet whats happened but its basically blown the dipstick out and started emtpying the sump!! ... was very lucky, there was just enough oil to register on the dip stick, much lower and i dare say it would have been spun bearings or worse!!

so anyways was late and i had to go and he just put the bonnet down :) hopefully its just a head gasket or valley gasket etc and not a ring/piston issue, but we'll find out sooner or later.

might be time for some new bits and porting of heads and cam while its apart :D
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

first question the pcv inlet pipe from TB down into rocker cover/inlet manifold been removed if not youll blow the boost straight in the sump.ide also block the pcv itself as well i do on all setups.failing that it will be a head gasket blown into the valley
10psi should equal this :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... DgsHG9laSo
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

pcv is internal in the inlet manifold ???? but no it hasn't been touched.

i thought the whole idea of the pcv valve was to allow it to suck air out of the crankcase but then block on pressure ?
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Holden202T wrote:i thought the whole idea of the pcv valve was to allow it to suck air out of the crankcase but then block on pressure ?
The PCV system has an inlet somewhere too, to let fresh air into the crankcase to draw the blowby and fuel vapours through the PCV valve, into the engine.
The inlet is connected at some point after the airfilter (to keep dirt out obviously) but before the throttle body to create a pressure differential to make it flow.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

it may be that side of it then, it would be the one that connects to the bottom of the throttle body and goes into the valley of the manifold !! maybe it needs a one way valve on it.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

We had the same problem with the Dato. The pipe is on the left side under the throttle body, it connects to the manifold.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

so what did you do v6bucket just a 1 way valve ?
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

You are probably using the throttle body as a blow through setup, so you are applying a positive pressure to the inlet, which in turn pressurizes the sump. Move the small "dog leg" hose to the intake side of the turbo.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Apples

Post by Apples »

You can do what the 3800 forum guys do.
Block off the small pipe at the intake and get one of these.
http://www.jegs.com/p/Caspers-Electroni ... 5/10002/-1
or make one
Don't make excuses. Make more horsepower.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

all i do is dissconnect the pipe on the TB and block the TB port with a short hose and a bolt .hoseclamp both ends youl be blowing all your boost straight down the guts its gonna hit boost so much harderLOL.then the hose going into the manifold fit a mini pod filter on there and its done.as for the pcv i pull them out the manifold under the bolt and squash the small end flat and fold it over on itself cause they dont hold boost.you can buy one from the states that has a neoprene seat specially made for boosted 3.8 gn buick engines.on the vb its all external series 1 and has a metal inline one way valve off a jappa brake booster vacuam hose
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem