VT S1 LS1 track car

Post any other rides you have here
Holden202T

Re: VT S1 LS1 track car

Post by Holden202T »

nice scores with the wheels and brakes :)
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Holden202T,i was very happy with them deals :D

Yeah Ejukated,as i didn't have an original Gen3 cooler pipe/line that sits in front of the condenser,i used the V6 one that loops across the stab bar.
I had to re-straighten the bends as it snakes differently around the gen3 mounts to pass under the radiator and bend up to the cooler and cut the pipe.
I used the original cooler pipe and cut that.
Years ago i made a tool that fits into a pipe ID with 2 small bearings opposite each other.Then a centre ball above the 2 balls.You screw a threaded pin/shaft down that forces the centre bearing
in between the 2 balls and spreads them out....makes a nice internal/external flair/ridge.
Plumbers use them on 1/2 inch copper pipes but i copied it to use on fuel pipe etc. (i dont know what they are called :roll: )
Slide the hose over the ridge and clamp both ends like normal pipes have so the hoses dont blow off.
I can take a pic if you want.
A gen3 cooler pipes should be easier to work with since its at the front anyway....so yeah rack to cooler and back out to the resi.
ejukated

Post by ejukated »

Pic would be good if you don't mind. Thinking about doing something similar as I converted my vs to manual and still have the auto cooler there
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Here are some pics
cool2.jpg
cool2.jpg (108.18 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
cool3.jpg
cool3.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
The tool i made
pipe tool.jpg
pipe tool.jpg (145.82 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
tool2.jpg
tool2.jpg (119.79 KiB) Viewed 4446 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thats a great tool!
monaro308
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Next on the agenda is the diff....when they say you'll never get those hours back on your life,my diff comes to mind :wall:
Here goes....the idea was to fit a minispool to my diff,i located 1 very cheap,hardly used.
Disassembled my S1 3:08 open centre diff to use the carrier for the spool.
Fitted spool to carrier.
With the LS1 and 6sp i wanted to go 3:73 for track work and get some use out of 6th gear.
A mate at work had a set of 3:73 gears which he no longer had use for,so i grabbed them.
Fit pinion to housing,BUGGER 3:73 pinion has a larger shaft diameter and larger bearings and the crownwheel doesn't fit my housing. :wall:
A call to another mate,he has a later model dead 3:07 lsd with the larger cast opening for crownwheels.
Pulled that apart,press in the 3:73 pinion with extra shim for the crush washer and torqued up. :thumbup:
Next up,fitted the 3:73 c/wheel to the open carrier and torqued up the bolts (LH threads)
Fitted the assembly into housing and screwed in the side bearing caps...FARRRRRK...fatter crownwheel and early carrier with a different c/wheel face offset so caps dont screw in anymore :wall:
Disassemble c/wheel,carrier,minispool and have a play with the LSD centre just for kicks as the spool doesn't fit LSD carriers because of the offset spider gear pins.
Was told that i needed a later model carrier with the correct offset etc,a local c/dore bloke i've been dealing with had a couple of VZ 2:89 diffs which nobody wants.
He said i can have the whole diff for $20.00 :punk:
Disassemble that diff for the carrier and check the offset :thumbup:
Began fitting the minispool to the carrier,knock in the long pin :thumbup: then onto the 2 short pins :thumbdown: FAARRRK later carriers have offset pins like the LSD.
It was a case of the wrong minispool or dump that idea with MANY wasted hours and swearing and just give up :sad2: OOOORRRR get one of the these ;) ;)
tt1.jpg
tt1.jpg (106.71 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
tt3.jpg
tt3.jpg (92.92 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
tt4.jpg
tt4.jpg (100.77 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
tt7.jpg
tt7.jpg (78.29 KiB) Viewed 4373 times
Shoved the whole lot under bench and ordered an Eaton Tru-Trac and live happily ever after :D
I would have loved to support the local business' but most of them quoted me $750.00-$900.00 just for the Tru-Trac centre.
Went online to Summit Racing in the US checked for Pontiac GTO/Holden they had listed...Price to me $479.00 plus $87.00 postage.
Landed at my door in under 2 weeks and fitted up an hour ago.
Oscar at Summit Racing was great and no hassle at all with emails and tracking the part.
JOB DONE :driving:
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

LMAO,

YOU'VE GOT ENOUGH GEAR NOW TO BUILD 4 DIFFS!

I've never attempted diff rebuilding apart from trade school, do you have any pointers for setting mesh up without getting noises?

Seaford is just around the corner from home by the way whenever you want to look into PCM work!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

any reason you didn't just get a full spool ?

either way the other stuff sounds like fun ..... NOT!
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

as he said earlier on in the thread he wanted to make it more exciting read if he just bought the full spool we wouldnt have anything to read :lol:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah its been quite a journey and a great read so far.