monaro308 wrote:Looking forward to it in a nervous kind of way :thumbup:
I know the feeling, you'll love it :)
krusty
cars: VY Calais guzzler, Toyota Corolla almost hybrid

Re: VT S1 LS1 track car

Post by krusty »

Doing Sandown? I'll be out there too :thumbup:
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Good luck for the weekend, any nerves will be long forgotten once you get out on the track having fun :driving:
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Thanks everyone.
I felt guilty about taking a sickie yesterday with the flu as I rarely take a sickie!
Everyone said why didn't I take the rest of the week off?
I thought id do the right thing and come in....2 hours in and im helping another mechanic with a Cruze exhaust.
If anyone knows the cruze,the rear half of the exhaust is one piece so you have to drop one side of the rear axle and slide the exhaust over
and out.
The tail pipe hanger wouldn't slide out and as I was holding the front section of pipe,without warning he has reefed the pipe forward out of the hanger
and mashed my right thumb between the pipe and end of the chassis rail :sad2:

With blood pouring out of my thumb,all I could think of was Sunday!!
3 stitches in my right thumb and a tetnis shot in my left arm im praying the swelling goes down enough to grip the steering wheel for sunday.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to do the right thing but i'll still be going rain,hail or fat thumb :thumbup:

Krusty look for a commodore...lol
#65 VT Capricorn green.....say hi if you get the time
cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

Lol these things appen!! You'll get tere, worked too hard to miss it!!
krusty

Post by krusty »

monaro308 wrote:Thanks everyone.
I felt guilty about taking a sickie yesterday with the flu as I rarely take a sickie!
Everyone said why didn't I take the rest of the week off?
I thought id do the right thing and come in....2 hours in and im helping another mechanic with a Cruze exhaust.
If anyone knows the cruze,the rear half of the exhaust is one piece so you have to drop one side of the rear axle and slide the exhaust over
and out.
The tail pipe hanger wouldn't slide out and as I was holding the front section of pipe,without warning he has reefed the pipe forward out of the hanger
and mashed my right thumb between the pipe and end of the chassis rail :sad2:

With blood pouring out of my thumb,all I could think of was Sunday!!
3 stitches in my right thumb and a tetnis shot in my left arm im praying the swelling goes down enough to grip the steering wheel for sunday.
Sometimes it doesn't pay to do the right thing but i'll still be going rain,hail or fat thumb :thumbup:

Krusty look for a commodore...lol
#65 VT Capricorn green.....say hi if you get the time
I'll say hi for sure if I see you. No pain killers on the track either hey. Should be a well earned fun day out haha
cheers
krusty

Post by krusty »

I couldn't make it out yesterday. How you enjoy the car?
monaro308
cars: VT S1 LS1 C/dore track car
HJ GTS Monaro Coupe
CV8 V2 S3
VE SSV

Post by monaro308 »

Hi Krusty,I had a F***ing ball :lol:
The morning "almost" became my worst nightmare because the night before,I finished loading everything at about 10pm.
Car and trailer in my driveway,sat down and watched bloody Collingwood lose and thought I'd go make sure the car was locked etc at about 11pm.
As I walked back in,i noticed a car was parked across the road,a little to the left directly opposite my driveway.
I went back in and off to bed wondering how the hell am I going to get my car and trailer out now as I have to swing practically all the way to the gutter so the trailer
doesn't take my fence posts out.
It took me more than half an hour to get to sleep wondering if I have to get up at 6am with F/all sleep,unload everything in the morning,drag a freaking tandem out on the road and reload everything.
I got up at 6,lucky day light saving ended to give me an extra hour as well and opened the front door to find the car GONE :D What a relief!

Off to the track....unload and scrutineered.all aok.
1st session was an untimed warm up which was meant for bedding in my brakes and getting used to the track.
On lap 2 someone spun out on turn 3 and the red flag came out....drive into the pitlane to line up again and get told no time for more laps as they have to keep things moving
and onto timed lap sessions.....geez 1 lap im getting my monies worth here....NOT!

Next session....ok off we go to finish bedding in the brakes,3 laps in im getting black flags waved at me :director: I'm almost ready to do an Ingall
I drive into pitlane back in line waiting for someone to tell me what the hell is going on,a couple of people come to my car saying theres oil dripping under the car,they look and say its red.
Off I go to my trailer thinking powersteering cooler or lines or bad trans leak....by now Im ready to just park it and find out why im black flagged.
Now an official looking like Bernie Ecclestone walks upto my car holding a folder and checking my car out,points out hmm no interior...yes I says....hmm semi slicks...yes I says
hmm roll cage and harness...yes I says.
I'm saying where is this going with the black flag,he's says nothing to do with a black flag,your car isn't standard and your in the wrong class. What class ?? I was told im in group 5
that's what ive been going out with,my names in that group.
He said this is round 2 of the VSCC series and your car should be in modifieds,me and my mate just looked at each other wondering WTF?
Its just a sprint meeting invite from HSV and the entry form never mentioned its a round for points......looks like I officially have points for the series :wtf:
With that over and none the less more confused I trod off to find out about the black flag.It was for speeding up and slowing down,its not safe to do that.
I said im staying to the left out of the way and indicating for cars to overtake(mind you I think 3 cars overtook) and I only got 1 lap in the warm up to bed the brakes.
So that was all it was.
Back to my car and check the leak. A couple of drops from around the extension housing seal was all I could find and it had stopped by the time all this was going on.
So I'm thinking it might be the breather on the trans spitting fluid when hot.(I remember issues at work with Tremecs and breathers )
Out I go for my real first session and on lap 2 I spun on turn 2 after grabbing the wrong gear and with a bit of brake. Got going again and I had a smile on my face when I came back
in to the pits. I was hooked. :driving:
I parked the car and checked for leaks and just a few drops again when hot and then it stops.
Another session out this time with my mate in his VS 5LT chasing me and blue flags waving at me in the corners with my mate behind me in my mirrors I move over slightly ;) to let him by when coming onto the straights and keep the flaggies happy,but he never overtook and probably just wanted to keep an eye on me.
Turn 2 got me again...too much brake on turn in caught me out and got going again.
Back to the pits and I asked my mate why didn't you overtake with the blue flags etc,he laughed you bastard and your LS1,you kept pulling away on the straights...lol.
Last session was do 1 lap and form up in pairs on the starting grid and wait for the green flag and the first pair take off whatever way you like ie burnout,proper start then off they go.
Then green flag again and next pair etc etc. and lined up next to my mate.
I did a "perfect ;) " start and my mate just sat there lighting his tyres up :driving: and I continued on for a few more laps to learn the track better.
We came back in and I followed my mate back into pitlane and lined up again.
The starter asks what the hell are you 2 doing here again, this session is for newbies to try out,i just ummed and laughed and said I followed my mate :lol:
He just looked at us both and said just bloody go!
So we got that extra session.
All in all we had a ball !
My mate mounted his extra go pro in my car but with all the waiting in pitlane,1 lap,black flag the small SD card was full. He told me a lot of the footage was crap with what went on.
But he has plenty on his go pro and will be giving that to me tomorrow.
Hopefully I will have something on here soon (if I work out how to first)

There you have it...sorry for the big story but that's how it was!

:driving: :driving: :driving:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

good to see you actually got to give the car a good thrashing after all the work and issues at the start of the day!

so whens the next track day he he :)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Fantastic mate, sounds like you had one very fun day :driving: Job well done with the car, no major issues on the first outing :thumbup: