cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: VS Commodore 202 Drag Car :)

Post by vlad01 »

harmonic vibrations yeah?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VNracer34G
cars: VN V6 Production Saloon

Post by VNracer34G »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:I know this is going to sound stupid as smoothness & comfort-ability isn't an issue, but a engine being solidly supported to the chassis would do long term damage over time wouldn't it with torsional movements & vibrations?
Very true if all solidly mounted, i know of speedway cars that have cracked bellhousings as a result, the trick is to keep the stock rubber mount in place at the gearbox end. The V6 motors are a whole different proposition
Build it, Race it, Break/Bend it ; Repeat.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

VNracer34G wrote:I know of speedway cars that have cracked bellhousings as a result, the trick is to keep the stock rubber mount in place at the gearbox end.
:thumbup: :thumbup: thats how we do them, still allows it all to twist and flex somewhat!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yes thats right, the reaction torque (what I call it) is transmitted between the rear control arms etc, through the chassis, engine mounts and finally to the engine and gearbox as one unit. the mount at the gearbox end does nothing other than hold the the gearbox and dampen some vibration.

one reason I can see a bell housing crack if both engine and gearbox is solid mounted is because as the chassis twists it will have different degrees of deflection at every point along the chassis length so that means the engine will experience most likely more deflection that what at the gearbox since the box is closer to the middle of the car, the gearbox and engine can't twist so naturally its going to break somewhere along the engine/tranny unit.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I use a std rubber mounts on the right side of the motor & solid mount on the left as the front carb was hitting the bonnet & rubber mount on the trans.
I fitted a BB chev into a LX Torana last year with engine plates front/rear & rubber mount on the trans. Some dragsters/altereds are setup this way & some use no mount on the trans, so the trans is only attached by the bell housing.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

my mates speedway car is the same, solid mounts on the front of the chev in normal location then rear engine plate and the box is floating other than the bellhousing!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well I know its been a while for this car, life gets in the way :)

so got one of VL400's LSx Coil Drivers with the spark cut dual MAP options and finally get it into the car and tested!

the video basically shows, 3000rpm spark cut then what was supposed to be 6000rpm but from what I could see on the data logger was more like 6400-6700rpm either way it all works :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNO07XVkxY0[/youtube]

we are hoping with this we can get it up on the converter and full throttle then once the button is let off it will swap maps to full rpm and also use the same button to change maps in the delco to retard the spark a bit to help it all!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I am amazed anyone would do this. Technology advanced 1970's engine in a 2000's car? Why because you can I suppose is the reason. I will keep an eye on this one.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I think its actually a 1994/5 car and the engine is far more advanced than 1970's ;) but yeah, cause we can and my brother wouldn't be able to race for along time otherwise!
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

That's an odd looking injector that you've fitted.
Sounds good.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---