BCM starting to do my head in...

BPJ
cars: Toyota Hilux

Re: BCM starting to do my head in...

Post by BPJ »

vlad01 wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread, on same topic is it possible to reprogram VP remotes say if you got 2nd hand remotes for a car that had them missing? is there a way to retrieve the code from the anti theft module?

No. Once the keys start the car the security number is written to the key and can not be changed. If you really wanted to you could change the chip on the key but then you would need a dump from a blank key, new eeproms and a new key case ( most of these are rubbish)

The other way is if you know the security number from the key you can write that into the BCM on the car, but then you need to re link that to the PCM. Either way it's not really worth the hassle compared to the cost of a new key head.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

BPJ, I've replaced the eeprom in key a few times but instead of using secure eeproms just used C style & they seem to react weirdly in cars sometimes changing radio stations & climate control to what they were when switched off & then some after a while stop unlocking car?

Could it be as it's no longer a secure eeprom & changing the memory?
BPJ

Post by BPJ »

I have been really slack and never got around to trying it, I also don't have access to a car that I would be able to try it out on. I know some people that have and didn't have any issue but I think that for what they were doing the issue wouldn't of happened.

For the remote stopping opening the car. I haven't checked this but I would expect them to be using a rolling code, so after a while the new codes might not write to the chip correctly and become out of sync, this should resyc after starting the car though.

As for the radio and climate control, no idea but they are both things to do with the BCM, the radio even has some info stored on the same chip as the key data.
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

Yeah I know with my Calais it has the priority key which changes climate,radio,power mode etc to suit each key you insert.
I know it wont help you with this but you just got me thinking :think:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

BPJ wrote:
vlad01 wrote:Sorry for hijacking this thread, on same topic is it possible to reprogram VP remotes say if you got 2nd hand remotes for a car that had them missing? is there a way to retrieve the code from the anti theft module?

No. Once the keys start the car the security number is written to the key and can not be changed. If you really wanted to you could change the chip on the key but then you would need a dump from a blank key, new eeproms and a new key case ( most of these are rubbish)

The other way is if you know the security number from the key you can write that into the BCM on the car, but then you need to re link that to the PCM. Either way it's not really worth the hassle compared to the cost of a new key head.

I don't think a lot of this applies to the VP since they don't have BCM. Only an anti theft module and the ECU is not linked in any way to the anti theft.

There is also no aftermarket remotes for VP, VP were one off type of remote, weren't used on any other model. So the only choice is 2nd hand ones which don't exist. My car is the only VP I know of to have a remote let alone 2 that work.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

vp you just get learning remotes from jaycar they work fine.even if you dont have a working keyhead you can use any vp keyhead and tune it till the doors unlock then code a learning remote
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

hang on... am I reading this right? I can walk up to someones random VP with my VP keyhead, open it up and twist the knob with a screwdriver while pushing the unlock button and at some point... the doors will unlock?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

its that easy
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:hang on... am I reading this right? I can walk up to someones random VP with my VP keyhead, open it up and twist the knob with a screwdriver while pushing the unlock button and at some point... the doors will unlock?

nope, they are coded. thats just a trim cap for tuning the radio frequency.

done it before, only works with matching code remotes and anti theft module. The code is a hex i believe and is labeled with a sticker on the chip inside the remote. both mine have the same code, all others I have seen had a different code labeled inside.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
BPJ

Post by BPJ »

vlad01 wrote:
Jayme wrote:hang on... am I reading this right? I can walk up to someones random VP with my VP keyhead, open it up and twist the knob with a screwdriver while pushing the unlock button and at some point... the doors will unlock?

nope, they are coded. thats just a trim cap for tuning the radio frequency.

done it before, only works with matching code remotes and anti theft module. The code is a hex i believe and is labeled with a sticker on the chip inside the remote. both mine have the same code, all others I have seen had a different code labeled inside.

The BCM security number is on a sticker in the BCM, this is the code that is written to a new key to code it in, once the car is started with that key the information for the remote is writen to it.

All keys start off blank, there is no unique code on the keys when new. The way that the security number is written changes at VT.