Checking for Error Codes

160 And 8192 Baud Aldl
tox
cars: Holden VS and VY

Re: Checking for Error Codes

Post by tox »

Replaced the o2 sensor and all seems good no more check engine light and the car purrs.

Only problem now is that it seems that I have some kind inconsistent starting issue. But that's for another thread, thanks for the help guys!
tox

Post by tox »

Hi all. Check engine light is back, and according to my log it's the left o2 sensor which I replaced not long ago! I did not replace it with an OEM AC Delco sensor, though, I bought a Bosch one thinking that it was the OEM sensor at the time.

Are Bosch sensors generally pretty shit? Or could something be damaging my left side o2 sensor and causing failures? I have attached a log, as you can see the left side o2 sensor is pretty jumpy, goes from normal figures to 0 intermittently. And I don't seem to see any other codes or problems that would give me a check engine light.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.
Attachments
o2 sensor.xdl
(127.31 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Give what holden202 said earlier in this thread a shot and see what happens..
Holden202T wrote:before you go and buy a new o2 sensor, try swapping them bank to bank and see if the problem follows the sensor!!
The1

Post by The1 »

i have found in the last year reliability of 02 sensors to be horrible in many cars, only acdelco/delphi seem to be any good.
tox

Post by tox »

VL400 wrote:Give what holden202 said earlier in this thread a shot and see what happens..
Holden202T wrote:before you go and buy a new o2 sensor, try swapping them bank to bank and see if the problem follows the sensor!!
Ah yes, good idea. I just got given some car ramps for my birthday, perfect timing lol. I'll give this a go tomorrow.

What should I check if the problem doesn't follow the sensor? I'm not really good with wiring and my understanding of electricity is piss poor, so go easy :P.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

wll if the sensors are switched but the issue stays on the same side that tells you its not the sensor its some other part of the system, i guess in a way its worse, because probably harder to trace than replacing a sensor!
tox

Post by tox »

Well I didn't have time on Saturday to fiddle and swap the sensors (woke up close to noon due to a bigger than expected night before) and I didn't want to risk not being able to make to Holden before spare parts closed and have to wait another week so I called around a few Holden dealerships and found the cheapest one and went out and bought it. Error gone and all seems good again. Guess we will see how it goes! Thanks guys.
tox

Post by tox »

Well I'm back again with DTC 64 lol.

It seems something keeps killing my left hand sensors. Any advice on what I should investigate next?

Cheers.
DavoF
cars: VX L67 Executive

Post by DavoF »

How are your Lower intake gaskets? A common fault is for them to leak coolant. If small amounts of the coolant have been getting into the cylinder bank on one side i've heard that that can kill an Oxygen sensor. But I don't know how fast that would happen.

Regards

Davo
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

If you reset the code and go for a drive while logging will then hopefully be able to see when it gets set and under what conditions.