vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Vlad's rides thread

Post by vlad01 »

As far I know the GTS HQ is about 1150Kg, I think the kingswood was more? but honestly who ever referrer to HQs as other than Monaro, VN-VS 1300-1400Kg, VT 1600~Kg.

Yes the HQ is stupid light if that's accurate, only 200Kg more than a VW type 3 and they only came with a 50hp lawnmower engine. Anything under 1300Kg I call light considering a Prius is about 1400Kg, most "micro sized" cars there days aren't typically under the 1400 mark and small sized are more around the 1500-1600 range.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64
cars: Vq Statesman, VE SS wagon, VE Sv6, VY SV8, VL Belina

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:As far I know the GTS HQ is about 1150Kg, I think the kingswood was more? but honestly who ever referrer to HQs as other than Monaro, VN-VS 1300-1400Kg, VT 1600~Kg.

Yes the HQ is stupid light if that's accurate, only 200Kg more than a VW type 3 and they only came with a 50hp lawnmower engine. Anything under 1300Kg I call light considering a Prius is about 1400Kg, most "micro sized" cars there days aren't typically under the 1400 mark and small sized are more around the 1500-1600 range.
I am sure th HQ's were heavy than that... might need to get the Dr Terry book out again..... the VN-VS can be as heavy as 1550 depending on level (My VQ is 1480) and I almost died when I weighed the VE SS wagon (2100) :o

I cannot wait to get the vl down to 900ish kgs, BUT with the racing i might plan to do with her I will need to put approx 500kgs back in, bonus is I can put it anywhere I like and as low as I like. it also means that I will make it removable so that I can have the car light fo some events and correct weight for others.

anyway we are so off topic now it is not funny... Sorry again Vlad....

Cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

All good. Ouch, that is a fat pig your wagon haha.

I didn't count the VQ, all statesmans are turds imho lol, just a waste of space at the wreckers taking up valuable real estate that commodores could be using. A frustration I get going to some wreckers 40-60% of the Holden section with just statesmans and they sit there for years untouched because no one wants them and hardly any parts are compatible with commodore, restoration type parts that is. They aren't a commodore in my eyes, just a ute with Hurst section welded over the tray.

Sorry on ranting over the statesman, they just annoy me because of all the wreckers keeping them for no good reason. :lol:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:All good. Ouch, that is a fat pig your wagon haha.

I didn't count the VQ, all statesmans are turds imho lol, just a waste of space at the wreckers taking up valuable real estate that commodores could be using. A frustration I get going to some wreckers 40-60% of the Holden section with just statesmans and they sit there for years untouched because no one wants them and hardly any parts are compatible with commodore, restoration type parts that is. They aren't a commodore in my eyes, just a ute with Hurst section welded over the tray.

Sorry on ranting over the statesman, they just annoy me because of all the wreckers keeping them for no good reason. :lol:
yes but with 6.2L of fury and a manual it is a damn lot of fun..... ;)

Hang on statesmans taking u wrecker space...... Since when, I can hardly find parts for mine. I need a rear seat courtesy of a mongel rat, and a right hand dash trim (piano black cap that only series 2 vq's had. My one is a special sort run car with factory sunroof and was owned by someone special. I love the thing and want to get it up and running again because of the fire whihc I have finally won the court case about. grumble grumble, auto electrician, grumble should have done it myself grumble...

but that a whole lot of other stories.

Cheers
oldn64
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Midland auto wreckers, there is like 4-5 VQs there and probably only half a VP an 2 VNs at the best of times. Even VR/VS is now uncommon.
Comcal76

Post by Comcal76 »

vlad01 wrote:Today's project.

What's left of the original dash.
IMG_0156.JPG

Screws from both donor L2 and the original were corroded and crusty. So I stripped them back, black etch primer and light coat of satin u-pol acrylic?

The same deal with the stop pins on the temp/fuel gauges. Fuck they were crusty as, 50% larger from the built up of oxide :lol:

They look better now.

IMG_0154.JPG

New unit all done. Has all the acrylic glass cut and polished, everything cleaned out with dust and oil residue. Transferred the speedo/odo unit to the donor

Also replaced the odo gear and gear carrier with a really neat kit I got off a guy that supplies genuine gear and 3D prints a new carrier and carrier gear as a one piece. Perfect! Looks like it was done on a high res SLS printer and in durable nylon. Cherry picked the best globes from both as some looked on their last legs as those were all black inside.

Done! it's too VSH, my eyes are burning. :shock: :wtf:

IMG_0157.JPG
Damn that came up real nice mate :thumbup:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Cheers! :thumbup:
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Anyone know if there is a long version of a beading tool like this? So I can bead the return line inside my fuel tank. I have searched and found nothing.

They don't have a bead and the rubber line inside is just clamped on the straight bit of pipe and can pop off. I am hoping I can run a bead via the outside with a longer version in situ with obviously the return line still on it inside the tank.

AF98-2019.jpg
AF98-2019.jpg (21.97 KiB) Viewed 3369 times
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

vlad01 wrote:As far I know the GTS HQ is about 1150Kg, I think the kingswood was more? but honestly who ever referrer to HQs as other than Monaro, VN-VS 1300-1400Kg, VT 1600~Kg.

The lightest HQ was the 6cyl Belmont @ 1338kg + 41kg for a V8, Monaro was about 100kg more.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
oldn64

Post by oldn64 »

vlad01 wrote:Midland auto wreckers, there is like 4-5 VQs there and probably only half a VP an 2 VNs at the best of times. Even VR/VS is now uncommon.
Vlad I often visit jollyrodgers and centre road wreckers in Melbourne. They are VR VS city, VN/P are getting thinner, and the ocassional Statesman walks in. I would love to have a VS series III centre console in my VQ as it would set off a number of things I have been trying for. I just cannot find one in time. Also need a Series III VS rear bar.

What parts are you chasing as I will most probably be in Melbourne on Sunday and can have a look see, you will be on my way home so can even deliver too ;) I often go to Melbourne to my clients so it does not even need to be this weekend.
vlad01 wrote:Anyone know if there is a long version of a beading tool like this? So I can bead the return line inside my fuel tank. I have searched and found nothing.

They don't have a bead and the rubber line inside is just clamped on the straight bit of pipe and can pop off. I am hoping I can run a bead via the outside with a longer version in situ with obviously the return line still on it inside the tank.
Right lets try and solve this for you ;) Been a while since i have looked at fuel tanks so memory missing BUT......

You might find it easier to get some mig wire make a donut out of it and thus a solid ring and solder this on the end of the tube. (I also cannot remember whether the return line is fixed or part of the sender unit access hole.

I have made crude beading tools from old pipers and a washer before but given the side of the pipe this might not work. Although a pair of small needle nose vice grips with a small tack weld on the jaws and then a profile cut above the weld might all this to occur. I will try and find a pick to reference.

brake line flaring tools. When you use a break line flaring tool to do a double taper joint for a pipe you essentially create a bead on the end of the line half way through the process. so the idea is therefore do half the procedure (which ultimately will create a ball flare like that on the VT brake lines. The kit I refer to does come in various sizes and thus would have a suitable size to be able to flare the pipe. I have used this for fuel line piping up the front on older carbied cars. :thumbup:

Cheers
oldn64