Inconsistent Target AFR

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Re: Inconsistent Target AFR

Post by charlay86 »

the problem with adjusting that table is that it will have an effect at all rpms.
inj gtr202 wrote:if it only adds the 25% where I need it to (about 3,500rpm and up) it would be about right.
In that case you need to bump up your VE table by ~ 25% in the areas about 3500 (however if that means you get a VE above 100%, you can adjust the kinjflow by 25% and lower the VE table values below 3500 rpm by 25%.)
inj gtr202
cars: LC GTR Torana
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

charlay86 wrote:the problem with adjusting that table is that it will have an effect at all rpms.
inj gtr202 wrote:if it only adds the 25% where I need it to (about 3,500rpm and up) it would be about right.
In that case you need to bump up your VE table by ~ 25% in the areas about 3500 (however if that means you get a VE above 100%, you can adjust the kinjflow by 25% and lower the VE table values below 3500 rpm by 25%.)
With the very limited amount of data I have recorded, the engine only seems to see tho's lower temps under high RPM. So it may have been the tuners answer to fattening up the upper RPM section (instead of the VE table like he should have).

Thanks for your input I'm learning more the deeper I dig into this (dodgy) tune.

Adam
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

inj gtr202 wrote:With the very limited amount of data I have recorded, the engine only seems to see tho's lower temps under high RPM. So it may have been the tuners answer to fattening up the upper RPM section
That is interesting, I guess he's used it like a crude power enrichment & VE adjustment all in one go, nice and easy just change a few numbers in one table lol
It makes sense that the higher air flow as the rpm increase doesn't absorb as much heat from the intake manifold / hot engine bay etc.
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

The challenge will be once I have the exact duplicate...... changing it to what it should be, so it works in Winter as well

Also, this might explain why my cold start target AFR's where massively lean. To compensate for the Charge Temp Table when there is no heat soak from a warm engine.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

and its all these little things that take the time to get right and make the world of difference :P
inj gtr202
1982 FJ40

Post by inj gtr202 »

I updated the Temp table and bingo... identical to the old tune. :driving:

I have a few logs of a power run or 2 which I will post up if anyone is interested.

With the temp table the way it is the downside is that when the air temp is cold the tune runs rich until I give the motor a good boot full (or 2).
Air Temp on a 30 deg day seems to be perfect (makes sense as that was the temp on the day the car got dyno tuned).

Now how the hell do I go about making the inverse temp table standard without leaning it out up the top end?
Use the logs to determine how much fuel is getting pumped in and then work backwards?
I really don't want the mid rev/ low rev response to change as for the first time in a while the rear's light up by just stomping on the gas.