5L V8 Dual fuel and HiComp. Will it work?

A place For General Chit Chat Etc
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Re: 5L V8 Dual fuel and HiComp. Will it work?

Post by Helical »

Interesting. At least I now feel safe setting this up with the gas still hooked up.

Thanks for all the help guys, now to find the time to pull the engine out and get started.

Troy
hot308vb
cars: Vt v6 Berlina daily driver
vs clubsport high comp solid cammed 355 brass buttoned t56 6 speed 4.11 diff

Post by hot308vb »

Here's my experience with high comp gas
When my old lpg only L34 cammed 308 started pumping massive blow by out every gasket seal etc it was time for a rebuild, upon researching gas comp ratios and found quite a number of people running fairly high numbers successfully so I thought I'd do the same.
I started by purchasing a set of vt 5L flat tops with moly rings which if I remember correctly only brought it up to about 10:1 so I had the yella terra big valve heads machined around 40thou to give me about 10.3:1 (skimming the heads was a pita as I had to cut my own intake gaskets out of thin gasket paper so I didn't have to machine my redline hiwinder manifold)
Tuning the beast was another challenge as I didn't recurve the electric dizzy and I found the factory base timing of 10degrees caused my engine to be really sluggish and not rev out like it should, so I waited for a stinking hot day and went out to a deserted back road and kept advancing the timing bit by bit until it pinged under full load and acceleration changing gears at 6500 then backed it off a few degrees and left it there.
I can't remember how far advanced the timing was(a fair bit!) but found throttle response was insane and it would free rev to 7000 and surprised most people who didn't think it was a gas powered engine.
Hope this sheds some light for you, anything else just msg me.
Rob
Helical
cars: 2000 HSV VS Series 3 Maloo
1995 Holden VS V6 3 seat ute (bunky)
1997 Holden VS S Pak Ute (wreck)

Post by Helical »

Cheers :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah its win win for gas, can handle more comp and meets emissions!