For non EFI mechanical discussion
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Re: Oversquare Engine Design

Post by slewinson »

:lol:

The actual article is about operating an oversquare engine "oversquare" in aviation parlance. To the non flyer, the term oversquare is foreign when referring to how an engine is operated.

Simon
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

Over square design is about the stroke Vs bore ratio, in particular an over square engine means the bore is greater than the stroke as per the example slewinson posted above.
Interesting about the plane engine ,
but getting into car engines an oversquare engine particually 3'' stroke v 4'' bore will give you the best torque curve for the fuel you can buy at the pump ( I mean best torque curve in rising fastest and staying flat for longest) given that your valve sizes are also in the 3/4 range ending with best cylinder fill
Now i am sure this shall be debated
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yeah, it becomes debatable which design is better over-square or under-square.

Over square is supposed to rev better, bigger bore means bigger valves, short stroke so less wear, less piston speed etc.

A lot of engines are square though, like our favourite 3800 V6 having a 3.8" bore and 3.8" stroke.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

v6 is 3.4 stroke 3.8 bore .in all reality you wont feel the difference from under over or square when driving
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_ratio
Oversquare engine examples

Oversquare engines (a.k.a. "short stroke engines") are very common, as they allow higher rpm (and thus more power), without excessive piston speed.

Examples include both Chevrolet and Ford small-block V8s. The BMW N43 gasoline engine has a bore/stroke ratio of 1.083.

Boxer engines (such as those built by Volkswagen, Porsche, and Subaru) typically feature oversquare designs since any increase in stroke length would result in twice the increase in overall engine width. This is particularly so in Subaru's front-engine layout, where the steering angle of the front wheels is constrained by the width of the engine. Although oversquare engines have a reputation for being high-strung,[citation needed] low-torque machines, the Subaru EJ engine EJ181 develops peak torque at speeds as low as 3200 rpm.

Nissan's SR16VE engine found in Nissan Pulsar VZ-R and VZ-R N1 is an oversquare engine with 86 mm bore and 68.7 mm stroke, giving it an impressive 175-200 hp but relatively small torque of 119 lb.ft-134 lb.ft

Extreme oversquare engines are found in Formula One racing cars, where strict rules limit displacement, thereby necessitating that power be achieved through high engine speeds. Stroke ratios approaching 2.5:1 are allowed, enabling engine speeds of 18,000 RPM while remaining reliable for multiple races.[4]
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jenko
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

found an interesting bore stroke ratio table
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablersn.htm
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

antus wrote: The BMW N43 gasoline engine has a bore/stroke ratio of 1.083.
Pfft, may as well be square!
My bike has a 1.63:1 bore/stroke ratio - not much torque until about 7k rpm, but it really comes alive from around 9k on :twisted:
jenko
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

A bit dissapointing that the wankell engine wasn't listed :lol:
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

jenko wrote:A bit dissapointing that the wankell engine wasn't listed :lol:

are they even an engine? they seem to be as reliable as the $89 big W china made line trimmer motor lol.

Everyone I knew of back in the day when they were popular were forever rebuilding them every other weekend. Now you never hear anyone use them anymore. Maybe they ran out of 2nd hand engine to rebuild?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

Considering their appetite for seals, this seams like asking for trouble :mrgreen:
rotortankreduced-01.jpg
rotortankreduced-01.jpg (68.12 KiB) Viewed 4760 times