Porsch 924 Delco Conversion

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
Fozz62
cars: Porsche 924 Turbo

Porsch 924 Delco Conversion

Post by Fozz62 »

Hi Guys.

Hoping you can help me with my project; I have a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo.

I have taken the old mechanical CIS fuel injection off and am putting EFI on. I think I have all the parts that I need as far as hardware goes and am currently working on the electrical side of things.

I only want the ECU to control the fuel as I really don’t want to change the existing ignition system. Is that possible?

I have the following hardware:
Sensors: TPS, 2 bar MAP, Coolant Temp, Air Temp and Oxygen.
I have a Delco 808 ECU and wiring harness from a 88 JE Camira. I will use a the chip from a Pontiac Sunbird turbo. I also have a fuel rail with fuel pressure regulator and the 4 injectors.

I know that I need to modify the harness and I have indentified the wires that I need for the sensors plus the 12volt battery and 12volt ignition. What I don’t know is how I get a timing signal into the ECU as this motor does not have a crank angle sensor. Where would I pick up a signal?

Electrics are not my forte so hoping you can help.
Holden202T

Re: Porsch 924 Delco Conversion

Post by Holden202T »

well my first question is why not have the delco control the spark ?

I am assuming if you don't have a CAS then you must have some form of distributor in it ? electronic, points etc ?
Fozz62

Post by Fozz62 »

Hi Holden202T.

The MV has an electric ignition system and my thoughts were to keep that and just modify the fuel delivery. I have attached a printout of my ignition system for reference.
Attachments
924 Ignition.jpg
924 Ignition.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 5598 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

well im sure you could leave that in place and just get an rpm pulse into the delco and it would be happy, but honestly, its probably going to be much more beneficial to use the delco to control the spark, you can likely modify the dizzy to work with it then just use the normal coil and a suitable ignition module to work with your setup.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is awesome! I love Porsche.

I would also go for full spark control.

I know someone who converted his aircooled vw to mega jolt? electronic programmable ignition. the difference it made was amazing, so much more punch and reliability over standard ignition.

I would go the extra step of a DIS and do away with the dizzy entirely.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Fozz62

Post by Fozz62 »

Hi Guys.
Been doing a bit of reserch for an ignition system after after holden202T's last post and it seems that an EDIS ignition system is the way to go and it's been done on one of these cars.
So if I run the EDIS system for ignition, will I be able to get an input signal into the Delco 808 ECU to trigger the injectors.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It would be an un-needed complexity when the delco is already set up for spark delivery as a side effect of doing the fuel. What can the edis system do that the delco cant? The delco will know air temp, coolant temp and will be taking all that in to account when calculating spark and will also use spark control to give you a smooth idle. Why would you want to have a more complicated system with less ability? If you have a reluctor signal coming from a distributor you could do it but IMHO the extra complexity for a less capable system does not make sense.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jacomms
cars: Commodore's .....what else?? :-)

Post by jacomms »

Agree with Antus I do......... bring balance to the force/DELCO .......run spark to I would!!

Once you have done one conversion with a DLECO you will understand why we all go that way ......you wont be unhappy at all!!

Justin