Drew's soon to be delco twincam rolla

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Drew22

Drew's soon to be delco twincam rolla

Post by Drew22 »

Hello all,

My current project/experimental car the ae82 1988 twincam Corolla:) Running a MS3 at the moment I've just got all the gear to convert a delco 808 to realtime so I can learn a new system. Hoping to run the standard distributor with the pulsar ign mod. When I get a good bin ill post it up.

Ms3 under construction.

Mighty 808 in the background:)

Working out how to drive the Toyota ignitor before I went COP.

GM IAC perfect for idle control.

Rude cam trigger giving 36-1 pattern thanks to the mill.

Strut braces are good for mounting stuff too!

After MS3

Before

MS3 patched into factory wiring to pick up sensors extra wiring for coils added.
Holden202T

Re: Drew's soon to be delco twincam rolla

Post by Holden202T »

nice mate!

what are the coils ? they look similar to whats on my allloytec v6 ?

whats the plan with it, delco and VL400 ignition module I assume ?
Drew22

Post by Drew22 »

Cheers

Yeah they are Commodore VZ coils very easy to use. Thinking of going distributor first just to get the hang of the software then mover over to one of VL400's modules.

VL400's module looks very nice I think it will be the go:)
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

did you mill a tooth off the cam gear for your trigger LOL you are a keen man i like the idea but it doesnt appear that safe to the valvetrain componants and welcome along im sure the delco wont take much to pickup
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

nah theres like 14 other teeth on the contact area to keep it in line I dont see it causing any issues :P
it would be ideal if VL400's module could be programmed to suit the existing 36-1 cam trigger you have, then you can use the same coils too :D
Drew22

Post by Drew22 »

Yeah I milled a tooth off the cam gear.... :) the belt runs on about a 1/3rd of the pulley so there is plenty of belt contact. Its done about 20,000mks no drama so far, I was more worried about my dodgy bracket holding the vr sensor falling into the mix. The other option was to whip a tooth off the standard dizzy but going back to standard management would not be an option if I had done that.

The 4AGE engine is a non interference engine so if there is a belt mishap major engine damage should be averted. Maybe

The delco software looks good, i'm hoping no to have too many dramas.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

biggest thing ive found using the delco is you are starting with a calibration that has has lots of time and effort spent on it by GM, all the little things that affect it like cold start are programmed to real values and not just left blank or guessed by someone with half a clue. even if you only toss in a basic spark map and do only the VE table with a wideband and you end up with something more drivable than any of the other aftermarket systems.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i have a 4age tune here somewhere off someones ecu was kalmaker sp3 standard 4 cylinder bin with no changes and it ran hard the guy reckoned LOL
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Drew22

Post by Drew22 »

I know what you mean Jayme. The MS3 had very basic maps from the get go, so much time spent tweeking. GM spend a fortune to get the cals right.

The spark map i'm good for, set up the factory Toyota ecu on an old dizzy tester. Sat there with a timing light and mighty vac runinng through speed and load plotting the values out. Crude but effective :P

delcowizzid was the bin like a n13 Pulsar 1.8 mpi?
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

it may have been ammx bin i cant find it right now i have so many bin files LOL.it wont be hard to use any 4 cylinder PFI bin and change the injector BPW table to suit cylinder size and injector size to suit and get it running better than a stock toyota resistor style ecu