Low oil pressure warning when braking hard ?

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Low oil pressure warning when braking hard ?

Post by immortality »

Holden202T wrote:yeah definitely sounds like something you don't want to have to deal with after buying a new car!
exactly, I'm after another car for the missus and I don't want to have to spend a lot of time fixing shit first. Upgrades, now that is a different matter :D
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:
vlad01 wrote:that sir would be the lower intake gaskets. They have a habit of leaking oil into the coolant rather than coolant into the oil.
It would have to be a very bad case. I've seen plenty of ecotecs with old intake gaskets but this one was more milky than you normally would see on the radiator cap and in the expansion tank. Best case intake gaskets, worst case......

nah, all of mine been like that even with less than 100k on the clock. They perish from age not from mileage.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yeah, I know that, seen plenty, it's just that this one seemed worse than I had ever seen and very suspect that the oil and coolant was changed before been put for sale. Coupled with the low pressure oil warning I'll think I'll leave it be.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah the VT l67 seem to have a rep for failing with bearing, low pressure etc...

I personally wouldn't want an ecotec lower than VY or VX series. That is when they became bullet proof engines. VS and VT suck for the majority of them.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
bldnut
cars: VT S/C V8 Clubsport Gas injected
VQ 6L stato Gas injected (un finished project)
VR 5L stato Gas injected
HZ T/Ramed straight gas
EK 202 straight Gas injection run of a v6 delco computer
VP V6 worked with bug catcher (sold)
VH V8 straight gas (sold)

Post by bldnut »

oily sludge on the radiator cap and in the overflow tank can also come from the auto, i see it quite often when the factory radiator gets to around 5-10 years old, if your lucky the auto fluid only gets into the radiator but i have also seen it when it goes the other way and the auto gets the coolant and then your up for a new auto
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

This problem with the valley gasket amazes me. How does oil under no pressure get into a cooling system that's usually under pressure except for maybe during cool down where air is drawn in via the atmospheric valve. I know it happens and have seen it fixed by replacing the gaskets but how?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i guess if there is enough blow by in the motor it could cause some pressure ?

but then plenty of engines over my years have done things i still can't explain :P
bldnut
cars: VT S/C V8 Clubsport Gas injected
VQ 6L stato Gas injected (un finished project)
VR 5L stato Gas injected
HZ T/Ramed straight gas
EK 202 straight Gas injection run of a v6 delco computer
VP V6 worked with bug catcher (sold)
VH V8 straight gas (sold)

Post by bldnut »

it happens during cool down and the vacume in the cooling system sucks a small amount of oil that has gathered on the gasket into the cooling system and over time this oil is what is seen on the radiator cap, the gaskets I have done are collapsed into the cooling passage and I would assume the when the cooling system is under pressure it forces the collapsed area of the gasket to close up and seal hence why most of the time you don't get coolant in the oil
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

OK that's the only thing I could think of was during cool down. I didn't know about the gasket design. Almost every V6 Commodore I have services has that very problem and I was told it was fixed by changing the gaskets.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

bldnut wrote:it happens during cool down and the vacume in the cooling system sucks a small amount of oil that has gathered on the gasket into the cooling system and over time this oil is what is seen on the radiator cap, the gaskets I have done are collapsed into the cooling passage and I would assume the when the cooling system is under pressure it forces the collapsed area of the gasket to close up and seal hence why most of the time you don't get coolant in the oil
that is spot on.