Wiring diagrams and questions
The1

Re: holden cruize

Post by The1 »

you mean alloytech?
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah I only just changed my triple chains in my alloytec due to a rattle. $1000 worth of parts. my problem was actually the ratchet function in a tensioner broken so the chain was loose till oil pressure was built up, but also the old center chain was 10mm longer than the new one (not split, just hung on my fingers) and it hadnt set the code yet... holden sure did set the tolerance pretty loose with their update :P
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Those alloytec engine sound more of a hassle than its worth lol
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

and then i had a 240,000km version with no issues :)

i honestly think from what i've seen from my mates mechanics workshop that the ones that get the issue are neglected and sludge up and thats probably half the issue, either that or because i used to do alot of kms it isn't cold and stop start for as much of its life as the ones that do fail.
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

Yeah I whole heartedly agree holden, but with the captiva (still just an alloytec) it had been serviced every 10,000 by GM & only done 50,000 km's!

Personal opinion all manufacturers are stretching intervals too much even if 100% synth oil used, especially euro manufacturers!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Sorry alloytech. Must have still been still asleep when I typed it in. I convince all my customers to service every 10,000km because I have seen too many engines go belly up because of carbon buildup on the pickup screen. I cant believe the size on some cars. No bigger than a 50 cent piece.
Fix it trick is to drain the oil and put a few litres of thinners in the sump overnight.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

VX L67 Getrag wrote:Yeah I whole heartedly agree holden, but with the captiva (still just an alloytec) it had been serviced every 10,000 by GM & only done 50,000 km's!

Personal opinion all manufacturers are stretching intervals too much even if 100% synth oil used, especially euro manufacturers!

syn or mineral, drain intervals still are the same.

the reason we change oil is because of contamination from combustion. Oil has nothing to do with that.

Also the additives in oil break down with time, its the same for both types.

its all marketing bs that drain intervals can increase using syn.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

wow thank you charlescrown!! ive been stressing over mine, its making a hydraulicc cort of sound when cold ive been worried the pickup is blocked. youve got to pull half the front end apart (AWD) and half the engine apaart to get the sump off! my plan until now was to get a kero gun with a 90 degree bend on the top of it and slide it in the drain hole (which is handily sideways and points right at the pickup) and clean it with that. I like the thinners in the sump overnight a bit better..... so I assume you just put the sump plug back in and fill it with 2 or 3 liiters of thinners in the normal fill hole in the tappet cover?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

make sure once you do it jayme you change the oil not long after to make sure you get all the stuff out of the system .... although most of it should evaporate anyway.
VX L67 Getrag wrote:Yeah I whole heartedly agree holden, but with the captiva (still just an alloytec) it had been serviced every 10,000 by GM & only done 50,000 km's!

yes but also if its stoped and started alot (ie. mum who does 10 kms a day to school or shops) its going to put alot more stress on everything over that 50,000kms than my car that does 120kms a day and mostly cruising at 80-100kms below 2000rpm at running temp for 99% of this time.

the entire cam system in the alloytec is hyraulically operated also which only adds to these issues!

i am not sure how valid it is but i heard that using mineral based oil in them is bad for them as it gums up the small orrifaces and leads to other issues. either way i always used synthetic of the right grade for the motor and never had an issue and apparently my engine number was one of the ones with the weaker chain.
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Yeah just let it sit overnight then drain and refill with new oil but don't leave it too long before the next oil change.