VR V8 Auto engine EFI harness into VN..

Wiring diagrams and questions
ALX76

VR V8 Auto engine EFI harness into VN..

Post by ALX76 »

Hey guys, not sure if it's been covered but hopefully a quick question before I delve into wiring diagrams
I have a VR V8 Auto harness and looking to convert a carby V8 in the near future, would the VR harness be easily bastardised to plug into and run off a VN ECU?
I know I could buy a VN/VP/VQ harness but at around $400 I am confident I can chop the VR harness to suit my needs.

My main concern would be the ECU plug and pin outs be the same for injectors, MAP, IAC, TPS, o2 and temp sensor etc?
Trans section will be deleted from harness and is not needed.

EFI harness I have is GM92048 888
Jayme

Re: VR V8 Auto engine EFI harness into VN..

Post by Jayme »

it is possible. ive done it twice before. the loom is the wrong pinout, so you need to get both VR auto, and VN/VP/VR manual (all the same) diagrams and depin the ECU plugs and repin them to suit the VN computer. you also need to file the locating lugs off the plugs to make them fit as they are in the wrong spot.
ALX76

Post by ALX76 »

Thank you for the vote of confidence.
I have access to VP V8 and VR V8 wiring diagrams so I should be able to easily enough get the colours in the right spots.
Really wanted to hear from someone who's done it before.
Cheers Jayme.
I suppose the pins pop out easily enough with the right tool?
Could I use a VN/VP V6 plug to do the transfer easily enough without having to butcher the ECU plug?
ALX76

Post by ALX76 »

Also, are VN and VP V8 in the same pinouts?
I have a Delco 01227808 ECU
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yes, VN,VP,V6,v8,auto,manual... All same pinouts.

so you take out the combs on the back of the plugs, then look at the side facing the ecu. there are two holes for each pin. one hole is where the ecu pin slides in, the other hole is where you shove your jewellers screwdriver and push sideways, which releases the pin and it pulls out. there is a knack to it but once you figure it out, they will all come out easy.
ALX76

Post by ALX76 »

Fantastic.
You have been a great help.