The missus new daily

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

The missus new daily

Post by immortality »

Hi Guys,

Just picked up a new car for the missus on the weekend. I think she was getting to comfortable in the Senator and wasn't real keen on going back to a V6 so we compromised and she ended up getting a 2002 VX series 2 Calais V6 Supercharged :)

She's stock as a rock, still has factory 17" rims, the only mods done by the previous owner was fitting a double din JVC head unit and some factory FE2 springs. other then that it has all the factory options etc.

She's fairly tidy for her age (the car) but needs a good clean in the bay. The only major issue is the usual intake gaskets that will need doing. Previous owner runs a automotive workshop so it seems well looked after otherwise.

plans for the car are fairly simple, it's going to be the work horse so reliability is foremost but I will be chasing some power enhancements but without sacrificing economy.

First and foremost a decent CAI, 180° thermostat and new alloy intake gaskets should take care of the cooling system. I haven't looked yet but it may need a new or decent transmission cooler. Fortunately the previous owner has recently serviced the transmission and used a fully synthetic transmission fluid, the box feels good, shifts are firm etc so the plan is to look after it :)

The missus first complaint was a lack of throttle response which is easily fixed with a 69mm TB. I also have some 1.9 rockers that can go in. These are the extend of the mods to start with other than some tuning to suit.

Seeing as it'll run on 95 I'll have to limit it to about 8psi boost for now. I have a terrible dislike for the factor style POS balancer so I'm thinking of putting a powerbond race balancer on it with 5% OD on the blower drive, this should increase the boost about 1-2psi without touching the blower pulley at this stage.

I'll most likely source a M80 manual diff with 3.46 gears and LSD as I've found with previous V6 engines a few more revs won't hurt economy and it doesn't labour the engine at low revs. Seeing as you cruise around off boost in reality your really just driving a low comp ecotec most of the time (the missus also has a lead foot and likes to win traffic light drag races so the ratio change won't hurt there either) :hmm:

With time I may consider some more boost coupled with some form of inter-cooling. I'll probably go the W2A route as extreme power certainly isn't the goal.

I'll post some pics in a day or 2 when I get a change to take some.

This is my first foray into the L67 world so some assistance will be appreciated :D

When I fit the 69mm TB I'll start off with The1's VX enhanced bin which looks like it's based on the factory HSV XU6 tune. I'll tweak the line pressures, shift points and throttle gain % to suit the bigger TB. Are there any other changes folks would recommend in the tune to suit?

Cheers (and thanks for reading).
Attachments
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1315.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 5168 times
Last edited by immortality on Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The1

Re: The missus new daily

Post by The1 »

dump the L67 into your VS, will go better, give the wife the ecotec for the daily lol
immortality

Post by immortality »

LOL, yeah. Unfortunately the VS is getting to small in the back for leg room (both my boys are either just over or under 6' and both are still growing...) and it has a few to many issues to get a WOF unfortunately without having to spend a bit.

These days the missus wants a more comfortable ride rather then the hard ride the VS has.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Been a reasonably productive day.

Got the insurance and personalised plates sorted. Fixed blown head light and park bulbs (I'm sure both were working when I picked it up), changed both headlights over to my Phillips +50's so nice and bright.

Also stripped the 69mm TB off the VS, cleaned it and fitted to the VX. Just about to burn my first tune.

All of 3 days before the modifications begin.

I have also ordered a CAI and intake gaskets.

One thing I noticed while I had the TB off is that the elbow that goes from the blower to the TB really narrows through the bend even though there is a lot of room behind it ( I'm assuming that is left over from the VS models which had less room around the firewall area). I wonder if this is a restriction? On a good note, the TB that came off was fairly clean so happy with that.
The1

Post by The1 »

all depends what your engine mounts are like to.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, I'll have a look at those.

On an interesting note, pulled the PCM out and what do I find? one of your MEMcals with an SST39SF010A chip with the standard VX XU6 tune on it.

Memcal did have a sticker on it but it has been removed previously.

Car will be running your VX enhanced tune from now on :)
The1

Post by The1 »

intersting, ive never shipped any to NZ or use the 39 chips, though plenty of others use my memcals.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Maybe it's not yours. The board is the same as a memcal I have that came from MACE. It has 36 (at the end of the pins) printed on the PCB board (yours have the v1 on the end). Maybe someone else is making memcals as well? Maybe it's a MACE memcal.

Any how, throttle response is now fixed :D (the missus will be most pleased).

I might ask the previous owner if he had it tuned? He owned it for about 4 years and I don't think MACE has been doing these tunes that long yet.
The1

Post by The1 »

could be from anywhere, quite alot of places use them. My Green memcals will either have no writing or Delcohacking.net THE1 on the current boards.

The car is nick, my uncle has the same one but in midnight blue.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Cheers mate.

She's got a few little dings and marks but on the whole it's not to bad. I might even get a few things touched up to get it looking really good.

Tried to convince the missus to take it for a test drive but she's cooking dinner so I shouldn't complain :D