Sc14 to buick and e85

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: Sc14 to buick and e85

Post by TdracerTd »

vlad01 wrote:Thats the bypass loop that allows the thermostat to "sense" the engine temp, without it the coolant doesn't flow over the stat when its closed and causes the engine to overheat.
Okay, so provided I have a feed from that point to the back of the thermostat, all should be good yes?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yes but not sure how coolant flow goes reversing the manifold. you probably need vn series 1 head gaskets as their water jacket holes were biased towards a diagonal flow distribution from pump to rear of the head where later engines were a loop from pump to rear, up through the rear of the head and back to the front with some small % of flow taking a shortcut fin the front and mid section from block to head.

You also need to add some bleed points at the rear of the manifold (now front) to let air out where the water ports in the head are like vn s1 do.

You are better off buying a vn s1 manifold and reversing that and then that will work like a standard vp/vr cooling system setup with standard head gaskets.

Commwreck have some NOS ones for 100 bucks.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

vlad01 wrote:yes but not sure how coolant flow goes reversing the manifold. you probably need vn series 1 head gaskets as their water jacket holes were biased towards a diagonal flow distribution from pump to rear of the head where later engines were a loop from pump to rear, up through the rear of the head and back to the front with some small % of flow taking a shortcut fin the front and mid section from block to head.

You also need to add some bleed points at the rear of the manifold (now front) to let air out where the water ports in the head are like vn s1 do.

You are better off buying a vn s1 manifold and reversing that and then that will work like a standard vp/vr cooling system setup with standard head gaskets.

Commwreck have some NOS ones for 100 bucks.
Just wait and see. ;)
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I agree with Vlad, a series 1 manifold may suit you better because of how the coolant flows through the manifold.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Also for a FI engine the bonus is blocked off PCV and cheap NOS manifold gaskets. Holmart had a ton of NOS ones for $11 a pair.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

note the description is incorrect, they are indeed vn s1 only. I bought some once hoping just the pic was the wrong one but nope lol

http://holmart.com.au/online/prod935.htm
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, definitely s1 only as they don't have the PCV hole.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

immortality wrote:I agree with Vlad, a series 1 manifold may suit you better because of how the coolant flows through the manifold.
I respect your assessment, vlad's as well. And i appreciate you guys weighing in. I don't think you are wrong about the s1 manifold, but I'll just say that coolant only flows through the manifold because the thermostat is there and it's easier to include the coolant galleries in the manifold because of that. Coolant will flow from the bottom end into the heads and the manifold is the way out. From factory, there is no flow at the back of the passenger side head and only when the heater is on does it flow from the back of the driver's side.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

immortality wrote:Yeah, definitely s1 only as they don't have the PCV hole.
Okay, so the pcv on mine has been blocked off for many moons. In the last lot of manifold mods the crank case breather ( not sure if that is the right term, but the little crank case pipe that feeds to the throttle body) has new blocked off also at the manifold flange. I have converted that to a coolant gallery with a -10 fitting where the pipe used to go to the throttle body. I will facilitate crank case ventilation via the rocker covers.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Yep, you are correct in that respect.

That little hose that goes from below the thermostat directly back to the water pump allows coolant to circulate around the engine (and past the thermostat) during the warm up cycle when the thermostat is closed. If you remove that hose no coolant will flow through that circuit and the thermostat won't open up. The series 1 manifold has a passage underneath that allows coolant to flow when the thermostat is closed to the front of the engine into that bypass hose as well as into the heater circuit, the later intake manifold does not have this link so if you remove that little hose it could be problematic.
Image(419).jpg
Image(419).jpg (50.92 KiB) Viewed 4686 times