vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Old School Buick V6

Post by vlad01 »

yeah me too. thought about doing a similar one from ecotec LIM as it has 2 rows of 3 pattern. ITB and 2 common throttle shafts should be doable.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

so when I bought the donor VS ecotec commodore for the Bedford parts car, it came with a new radiator ... didn't have a use for it at the time, but I do now!
IMG_1750.JPG
IMG_1750.JPG (298.98 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
the VN S1 radiator pipe I've had stored for years finally came in handy (at least part of it!)
IMG_1751.JPG
IMG_1751.JPG (261.9 KiB) Viewed 4567 times
got water in it and that side of it is all working, just need to wire in a temp gauge and power for the thermo fan and we are in business :)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Engine dyno next on the project list? :P

Looks good!
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

hah! anythings possible!

but if I was to get a dyno I reckon it would have to be rollers!
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

That 1st manifold Delcowizard put up looks like a manifold called a torquer made back in the 70's. I had a HQ 350 and put one on with a 600 Holley and thought it went great till I decided to sell the car and put the Quadrajet with std manifold and couldn't believe how much quicker it went with std parts.
I had a meek and mild student you would never pick as a rev head who said to me one day he had built up an EJ Holden with a supercharged V6 Buick and I must have looked amazed so he brought it in the next week and boy what a mod job not only the engine but the entire car. When I asked how did it go he replied with a very polite "pretty good".
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

sicsix in qld do a lot with those engines, they import and build race engines out of those US early buicks. Apparently the heads in these have real good potential.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah I've seen quite a few USA buicks making some large numbers!

this thing as it is with a baby cam and low comp made enough horsies to keep up with my VZ 190kw ute when it was in my brothers HQ with 3.08 diff .... not that that is super fast but the heads are stock and the pistons are as heavy as they come :) so theres plenty of potential for a tickle up :)

not really sure which way to go though, but im trying to get my hands on a USA ignition module that will plug straight into this dizzy then allow it to interface with a delco ;)
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

I'm not sure if I want to efi this motor or not, after all why bother with it over a commodore buick if I did ..... BUT .... even if the EFI never happens at the very least I'd like to use a delco to control spark for it, I've done it before on carby 202's and it makes a massive difference to idle if nothing else and the extra programmability has to be a bonus!

so I've been checking ebay regularly and finally found a D1961A ignition module at a reasonable price .... and its AC Delco brand to boot!

it arrived today so just been having a little fiddle tonight to see how it fits ... looks like the bolt holes are wrong but the locating lugs in the module fit the dizzy perfectly so it shouldn't be hard to drill holes in the right spot for the different module.

this is the original HEI module, right white and green wires are the reluctor pickup coil, and left out the side of the dizzy is the wires that go outside the dizzy to the coil in the cap.
P1120515.JPG
P1120515.JPG (465.2 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
below you can see the new module fits in nicely, and the white/green wires will connect under the edge of the advance weights to the two in-most lugs, then the rest goes to the delco...
P1120516.JPG
P1120516.JPG (493.59 KiB) Viewed 4236 times
so i'll probably try and get the module mounted and wired in without the delco for the time being, get it running with that then worry about the rest at a later date, after all this is only a spare motor on a test stand with no immediate plans for any car :P
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

shame you dont have a car for it.

seen some youtube videos of these sorts of buicks turbo'd and they are making some serious power and not even breaking 6k rpm.

this one is impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATfbspLsffg