Toyota 2TG/3T Hybrid

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
ToyHicko
cars: Toyota Celica/VN Bash Car

Re: Toyota 2TG/3T Hybrid

Post by ToyHicko »

Well I have a reply back from the RTA and an engineer certifacte is require apparently.

Question asked
I'm looking at converting my 1973 Toyota Celica from the current
factory twin Carby's to an EFI by removing the intake manifold and
installing the Factory EFI manifold for same engine. The wire loom and
ECU will be a modified out of a Holden Camira to suit. Fuel System
Change will only occur in the Engine bay in terms of Electronic Fuel
pumps controled by the Carima ECU. Question is do I require an
engineering Cerificate for this.
Answer
As your vehicle is a 1973 model you will need an engineers report to cover the emission standards, and if the power output of the engine is increased by more than15% the report will also need to cover the increase in engine power.
Not sure if the guy really understand that the EFI emission will exceed the starand for a 1973 car that only requires a PCV. Next I'm planning to email a Engineer and see what their thoughts on the matter are.

Jason
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i dare say the engineer will laugh and says its not needed .... but i guess if you cover all your bases you have ammo for the cops if the time comes!

i actually got pulled over for cops that were checking old cars for emissions compliance "ie. if it looked like line were capped off or blocked they'd defect you" i popped the bonnet to reveal an ecotec v6 in a torana and the cop said "is that fuel injected" so of course i said yes he then said "oh well i have no interest in you" and walked off!!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Haha classic :)

I think the bit that may have set of alarm bells might have been "The wire loom and ECU will be a modified" as that would make it not automatically compliant under the camiras ADRs. But it varies state by state and im no expect so at least an engineer can cover the bases for you. Hopefully it is not expensive due to the age of the car making it excempt from many requirements.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Just put a Denso sticker on the Delco :lol: Seen a few aftermarket ECUs inside factory ECU cases too.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

honestly why even tell the engineer or RTA that its been tuned, as far as they know its a stock system and it just works!
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Post by festy »

I guess it's a bit like changing your air filter - apparently you need an engineers cert for that as well, as ridiculous as it is.

I once had a cop want to defect me for having twin sidedraft carbs and the battery in the boot (both factory) - but he didn't notice that I had no front bumper or number plate :mrgreen:
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

I was just being honest on what i was doing to see the results. As the commodore V6 throttle body on the end of the plentium will give away it's not standard in anyway. I do have the factory ecu for the engine but it is and old anlogue style and not worth the hassle.

Festy I was worried they would have said the same to me about the Twin Solex Side draughts as the 2TG was only in a handfull of car brought to australia by toyota rest are all grey imports.

ADR rule only comply to the engine (block) and chassis age I beleive not the "Control components" as and example the fuel off my engine was still used in the late 80's on Hilux (22R engine).

The other thing i found interesting was the statement about 15% power increase RTA site only talks about a 15% increase in capacity which to me beens Displacement and my engine is only a 12% increase from 1600 - 1800 roughly.

Anyway I've email the local engineer (45 mins away) and asked the question also included getting the exhaust and wheels to cover myself if the cops ask.

Just to clarify the cop is new to the area ex sydney cop throwing their weight around and is known to pick on "done up cars" especially P platers. Has asked people to rev their car to near redline and hold it to hear the exhaust note on the side of the road.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

thats a fucking joke, for starters i'd be telling the cop to get stuffed and defect my car if he wants a noise test.

secondly the RTA requirements specify alot less than redline and with a calibrated gauge!!

96 dba or less for pre jan 85 cars i think it is and 90 dba for cars after that ... i'm not sure if theres anything different for a brand new car though.

and yeah there is nothing in the regs about performance other than capacity increase. the only thing it really relates to is rotory v's normal engines ....
ToyHicko

Post by ToyHicko »

I've now sold this car and the EFI system never actually fitted it to the car. :| But just didn't have the time to maintain the car.