For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: 3800 engine evolution video

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:
immortality wrote:Nice.

Holden always has short changed us when they borrowed stuff from GM :(

If I remember correctly, the US L27 made power/torque than our VNs1 engines using a smaller TB than we did.

its probably because of our shit fuel holden detuned them a bit, and I reckon leaned them to get the great economy that we did.

Also the L27 have banana manifolds over there that we never got, we got the LN3 manifold throughout the L27 run.

VN s1 were LN3 anyway.
Fairly sure they run really shit fuel in the US.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

I remember when I was living in the US in 98 the fuel stunk like water and was low octane compared to ours, I remember when I got home and took my munro to servo I thought that smells better ! Holden has allways given us de-tuned motors from the US ( and even our own motors) I think it's just the aussie way that if you have a bit of HP then your a goin that can't handle it. It comes down to the fact that the everyday Camry driver has no idea and the rest of us cop it, dosnt everyone merge onto the freeway at 35kph ?
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

if you go to Europe, they only have 98 and 95.

No such thing as 91 there.

Also US use AKI ? (anti knock index) and rest of the world uses RON (research octane rating)

So their numbers are lower for the same rating.

93 US is 98 ours
89? US is 95 ours
87 US is 91 ours
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.