ALDLDroid Android App

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Jayme

Re: ALDLDroid Android App

Post by Jayme »

it wasnt even that hard to decode the XDL format.... hex editor and some sleuthing and it was done.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

He did say he had been talking to Antus previously.
Maybe you could contact him again?

I think he's a bit dissapointed with what people are using it for.
He said the main feedback he gets is everyone just using the dashboard.
Which i think killed his motivation.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

if it could do bin uploads and downloads or even realtime editing of VL400's realtime bins id certainly use it for that... ive got a mate thinking of mounting an android tablet in place of his dashboard on his competition race truck and using aldldroid as a dashboard...
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

It has a real time feature but haven't tried it. xdl logging and aldl read write to nvram is what i wanted.
He did have xdl logging which is why i got it but he disabled it in an update.
Due to not working. He knows whats wrong but just can't be bothered fixing it.

He said he could add nvram support if someobe gave him the aldl protocol which Antus has offered already.
He really just needs some motivation.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah the catch is the protocol is sorta dependent on the bin you use... 12P read write is different to realtime modded bins is different to kalmaker is different to the1's enhanced bins. so you need a bin identification procedure first then select which aldl real write protocol to use... im sure ant provided those details too... anyway motivation is the key to anyone getting anything done !!
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

I no what thats like.
Could be a good money spinner for pcmhacking.net. Anyone no how to code in Android?
3400tZ
cars: 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 - 3400 swap, turbo intercooled
2001 Pontiac Grand am GT
2002 Pontiac Grand am GT

Post by 3400tZ »

Hey guys, Sébastien here, ALDLdroid dev :)

Reading this thread, it really seems like the Australian ECUs (and guys) have quite different needs than the American ECUs / guys. To be honest, at first I didn't even know about the Australian ECUs and I didn't even realized I was supporting them until I found this forum a few months ago. Anyway, tonight I released a new version of the app which add XDL support (I figured what was wrong). Dylan emailed me about it and once I saw that thread I figured I might as well just kick myself in the a** to finish it. Just to clarify, XDL support never made it to any public release before, it was disabled before even making it to any release. VL400 helped quite a bit, I still have a couple unknown in the format but they don't seems to really matter so...

Dylan, sorry if I sounded like I was giving up on the app or something but that's definitely not the case. Motivation to develop it just come and go usually tho as this is just a hobby. With all the hours I've spent on this thing, it probably comes down to a few pennies an hour so I can only work on this in my spare time (for obvious reasons :D). I think I'm still doing OK as I started the first line of code for this app just over a year ago knowing next to nothing about GM ECUs just as a personal challenge.

As for the NVRAM stuff, I'm pretty antus emailed (PM'ed?) me about this some time ago. It could have been a PM on gearhead-efi cause I had to delete them at some point as my inbox was full and I think I might have lost it at that point :thumbdown: I could be interested in supporting that but I know next to nothing about it. I'm wondering if this module http://www.moates.net/nvsram-module-kit-p-130.html is similar to what you guys are using ? I'm asking because I currently have a 1227730 ECU already setup on the bench test so that would make my life quite a bit easier if that can be used. For the software side of things, if something can send me some documentation or much better, some code (whether it's c++, java, python, c#, whatever) I can start taking a look and I'll see what I can do for you guys.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah I would call that module similar... its just an nvram in place of the eprom, and some modifications to the ecu code to allow it to accept special aldl commands which either read or write the nvram. problem is there are a few types of realtime code avaialble and there are a few different read/write protocols, though they are all very similar. so it would depend on the ecu code you run as to how close it would be to the protocols we use. you will need to ID the bin first and then choose the protocol to use, or hide the protocol info inside the xdf or adx somehow (VL400 does this in his logger).
either way, Antus and VL400 have both written client side code to ID and read/write so they would be best in a position to help with it.

very excited to see the idea of reading / writing and realtime changes using android !! I may have to buy this app soon.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Awesome work mate thanks so much for the support. One person can make a difference.
I won't get another log untill friday now but cant wait!

Hopefully we can get the ALDL read write to our NVRAM set ups working! Looking forward to the progress.

Thanks again mate.
Dylan

Post by Dylan »

Updates available 6mb should be good.