Manual Steering Rack?

For non EFI mechanical discussion
Irukanji
cars: VT Commodore V6 Series 1

Manual Steering Rack?

Post by Irukanji »

So, I'm on the fence about converting the old rack into a manual rack. I have a new refurbed one here to go in, but I'm interested in knowing if anybody has converted a VT rack into a manual one? I read this site here;

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/howtoo ... grack.html

Where he converted a 240sx ps rack into a manual rack. I know, I know, why do I want a manual rack in a car which weighs 1 and a half ton? Well, the 626 I had once wasn't far off, and I preferred the feeling of the steering all round. It takes a little getting used to, but after that it is better than power steering any day imho. Is the VT rack similar to the one in the link(I assume most ps racks are)? I'm looking to remove the power steering pump and associated lines too, along with the AC.(don't ask, don't tell :P).

Has anybody done this before? I'll probably be attempting it at xmas time whilst I have the free time, so there will be a write up regardless if it works or not. Luckily I have the spare rack to play with. Maybe the stiffness of a new rack will be enough to make me happy?

I know for sure that I'll need to find a way to route the belt again(after the AC bypass), and a tube of moly grease(or similar). Bushings optional.

Thoughts? Advice? Inb4"wrongforum" :(
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Re: Manual Steering Rack?

Post by slewinson »

I would not use grease, but gear oil as was standard in manual racks years ago.

Another thought would be to significantly drop the hydraulic pressure in the system by modifying the relief valve.

Simon
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

i dehosed a vn rack to releive any pressure inside the rack it definately unpowered it LOL was way better than the heavy feel you get with the engine dieing and powersteer pressure dropping.i didnt remove or drill the piston but i was going to just to get it softer.then after all that we just fitted a manual rack LOL.it will get a bit of a clunk in operation like a vn rack with the engine off has that little knock as you turn left right left quickly that normally goes away when the engines running
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

A vp with T5 I bought this week had is PS pump missing, along with radiator, fan, ecu and various other bits like windscreen. It was a non goer and was dumped by the truck on the nature strip as the truck wont fit my drive way.

200m driveway, so I had to get it going to get it up the driveway.

Anyway, it started first go on a lawnmower battery and I dove it up with no power steering. Damn it was hard!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

yeah you take the hose off that runs along the rack body to release pressure between the piston and valving at the pinion entry block and it goes real easy when your not forcing fluid around inside it
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

why not try a VB or VC manual rack?

I would imagine it to not too hard to modify to fit.

I know VT rack fits VN-VS except the pressure lines are on the opposite side making it not fit. Other than that they physically fit. I know coz about 5 years ago I was sold a VT rack listed as VP by accident. I tried to fit it, but the lines were in the way but could fit other wise.

So I am taking a guess prior to VN racks weren't much different.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

finding a vl manual rack and shaft is hard vb-vk dont fit without cutting off the mounting points we just fitted vk manual to vn k frame we had to use the vk mounts cut off the vk k frame and welded them on the vn k frame wasnt hard but was a bit of mucking round to get it setup in the right place
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I ran a VN power steering rack with the lines looped and full of fluid in My VH speedway car for many years and never any problems. If I had my time again it would be fitted with an Astra Electric power steering pump :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
Irukanji
cars: VT Commodore V6 Series 1

Post by Irukanji »

Only reason I was going to use the old rack is because I already have it(still attached, just need to get off my butt at xmas and do it). Gear oil is a good idea, I'll check the seals before I do it otherwise I'll just be leaking gear oil everywhere along with the random leak from the motor which I can't find....it probably leaked from the factory, or maybe the ps pump has gone again.

At the least, I'll pull it apart and see how everything goes anyway. Then the problem of aligning the bugger over xmas but I'll figure something out.

EDIT: I've been doing some more research and decided to put it here to benefit people who may be looking for the same end goal. Presumably all the racks have their similarities, so it's just a matter of using some brain power to work around the problems.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/tech/depower.php?x=1
http://ecomodder.com/wiki/index.php/Fil ... Change.JPG
http://honda-tech.com/honda-prelude-4/w ... n-1517004/

Also discovered honda drivers are whiny bitches :lol: