cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Re: Heresy - Interceptors and HHO

Post by Charlescrown »

I think you will find the Octane has no bearing on burn rate. The higher the Octane the higher the threshold to detonation. I agree it really is a waste of time. I see utube clips where a car is supposidly driven only on HHO but I really find that hard to believe you could produce and store enough to actually do that. If you could buy it from the bowser yes it's possible but not with a generater under the bonnet. As it has been mentioned the energy used to separate the O2 and the H is them used to turn it back into H2O.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Charlescrown, You were right about the tail shafts. I dug up some old photos, one of the original vacationer tail shaft I took in 2010 which I was selling with the auto after the T5 conversion.

This one showed the phasing was probably 20 deg apart.

The other photo was the tail shaft I had built for the red VP, it was aligned perfectly as far as the photo detail shows.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I'd love to know why they did it. Lets hope someone in the know reads this post. I don't think the Nissan Skyline was out of pahse.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

I've looked at a couple of old drive shafts pics (VN and VS) and all the ones I've checked have been slightly out of phase, all of these been from cars with the traditional non IRS rear ends. I haven't yet checked the drive shaft on the Senator which is IRS.

For some reason rear axle tramp keeps coming to mind when thinking about drive line issues on Commodores.
Charlescrown
Starion TBI with Delco
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

Yea the cars I checked were all auto 6's. I haven't got access to all the workshop manuals I used so don't know if the V8 was the same.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The tailshafts out of phase was a NVH thing(Vibration), only the V6, not the V8.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

probably to generate a vibration out of phase of the engine one to try cancel it by the sounds of it, but if the engine is slightly different off the production line then the vibration might be a slightly different frequency and could explain why some cars are good while other shudder a lot.

My red car has a shudder at a few points in the rpm range when under full noise in the middle gears, even with fully re-balanced engine to suit no balance shaft and a race damper. Though it has solid engine mounts so it's likely a resonance with the chassis and the engine. One normal mount on the driver side had no shudder but I had issues with the steering jamming with the header on right hard turns because the engine would flop to the left as the genuine mount was too soft, moved by 30mm from the lateral g-force.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.