VK T5 L67

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by immortality »

HQ355 wrote:Anyone ever had to get the eye lens buffed after getting metal taken out ? That sucks, they put your head in a clamp and flip your eyelid and get this dremel with what looks like a needle in it and say "don't move" while they stick that in your eye ! I've had that twice, and yes I was wearing glasses
Not that but I had nasty chemicals in my eye so they added dyes and flushes to try and get it out, lifting the eye lids etc. Wasn't much fun either.
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

After the starter motor incident, I've noticed my spare is showing similar symptoms to the one I pulled out.

I thought it would be fairly straightforward to cleanup the solenoid contacts which in all likelihood would be pitted and/or black.
Turns out you don't take these apart like the old V8 ones.
v6_solenoid.png
v6_solenoid.png (563.88 KiB) Viewed 5415 times
The terminal cap is crimped in.. so Mr 4" grinder did an autopsy to see just how impossible it is to remove, and how bad the terminals were.

The photos don't look so bad, but the pitting is deep. Still I'd clean it up and reuse it if I could re-assemble it. The brushes look fine.

$130 for a new one online....great. There goes the slush fund again.

Not getting stuck again. :evil: Did a 1 foot roll start bump on Saturday against the gutter to give the sod a kick when it happened again.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

The cap looks like its busted in the first photo? These can be fixed with the right tools and parts, but a new one is waaaay better...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yeah they cost about 120 or so. pretty exy for a solenoid by it is what it is.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

yeah I fixed my alloytec solenoid.... just got a sharp screedriver and peeled the casing up where it was crimped over the cap edge, then slid the cap off. cleaned contacts, slid cap back on and re crimped the casing over it. never missed a beat since
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

@Biggy
The cap wasn't damaged originally... I first cut to see how the cap was held..then circled around with the cutting disc.
At this point I wasn't thinking to restore it.. just a look inside.
IMG_7537s.jpg
IMG_7537s.jpg (84.56 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
The lip looked too thick to fold open like Jayme said.. but with a lathe you could turn out a nice fitting to hold it back in.
New is cheap enough to not to worry and waste time.

All good, I need to really invest now in a wide band and get back to tuning the L67... so many projects, so little money.

Hard to have a steady income doing adhoc work, people only need my luv for a short time :lol:
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Hmm, Looks like my HC-06 BT module isn't working.

The level converter arrived, so I fitted it. And no difference. But, I also bothered to try AT command mode with the FTDI board, also no go.
If it can't talk to it, then the delco won't.

Which means its not working. The only odd thing is, if I loop rx&tx, it will echo in a terminal. I might have done damage somehow with 5v i/o

Bah, I'll buy a HC-05 and try again! Just means another delay.
BT_808.jpg
BT_808.jpg (229.24 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
With the rise of ALDLdroid, who doesn't want a Bluetooth $12P '808?
Last edited by ralcool on Thu May 19, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Looking at your pics on the last page im not sure what the resistors and diode are. Level shift the tx and rx and wire them stright to the ecm, plus gnd. But how do you get 8192 baud on BT? Isnt it standard rates eg 9600 as part of the BT spec? If so that will error a fair bit with 8192 baud data although some shorter packets will get through.l before sync is lost. You probably need something with 2 uarts and a buffer to handle the baud change from 8192 to 9600 but then you will get less throughput from the overhead.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

But that is exactly what I did. I bought a level shifter.

On the last page I was trying to level shift with some resisters and a diode to Rx to reduce the input voltage from the '808 to within tolerance.
Didn't work. Fine, bought a real one.

Today it arrived, a proper board to level shift both Rx and Tx down to 3.3v as shown in the photos for proper compatibility. But it still didn't work.

I thought this would be simple. Replace a FTDI chip with a BT module. Same concept, but wireless. Baud rate is also 9600 as per FTDI spec.

I hope this is simply a bad module. I couldn't connect to it via other means to test for functionality... so ignore all post until I get a new one.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ahh fair enough
Yeah, sounds like it is a bad module. But whats your thoughts on how to get 8192 baud on the ecm side of the bt module?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396