VK T5 L67

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

I miss Top Gear :sad2: Re-runs pumped out of the BBC isn't enough.

In other news my starter motor decided to die today whilst visiting a mate.

Luckily it wasn't earlier in the day when the missus and I took the dogs for a walk - after a decent drive off road, and parking miles from civilization.

The battery voltage as indicated on the dash went south when the key was turned.... it looked initially like a flat battery.. jump starting didn't help either ... odd.
So we towed it on a hill and used some gravity to fire her up... we had life again. WTF is going on... get it home.. Dash showed ~14v again all is fine.

15mins later back home, shut down. Try to re-start.. Nope. Right, Swap the battery with a spare. 'Nuffin. Shit. Dash gauge still goes dead south.
Bypass battery harness wiring with a jumper lead just in case direct to starter. Still 'Nuffin.

Dead starter it seems.
An autopsy hasn't revealed anything sinister other that some worn brushes. Bit wider than usual, kinda flared, but not really that bad.
Armature looks okay. But a test on the bench showed it wasn't working.

Lady luck revealed my old VP V6 engine had a manual compatible starter motor in it... Initially harboring thoughts of scavenging spare internals from an auto version.
(it also didn't require the spacer shim.. the clue was the casting on the housing 'No Shim' )

So far so good, wasn't planning on dropping the manifold to make room for an exit and getting dirty today.. but that's life.

My FTDI chip arrived today too, darling daughter has locked the phone I was planning to try first, and gone on camp for 3 days... :rant:
I'll instead at least have a play and get it functioning in Tunerpro in the morning after I sink some much needed BEER tonight!

Camera flat, wil upload some useless pics later.

Cheers!
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

So that went well. USB mod to a spare '808. FDTI chip.

Loaded some 12P v112 goodness onto the flash chip, put some terminals on the power wires, bridged the pink, added some leds
IMG_7526s.jpg
IMG_7526s.jpg (158.56 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
IMG_7518s.jpg
IMG_7518s.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
loom.png
loom.png (450.83 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
So now I have a delco powered weather station showing room temperature and kpa in TunerPro :mrgreen:

Can sitz and watch the blinkin' lights :shock: It works perfectly.

The trusty atx based bench power supplied in service again, loom draped loosely with a zip tie so every can reach.
IMG_7529s.jpg
IMG_7529s.jpg (163.19 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
Naturally none of my android devices want to talk to it.... but again,none of mine seem to fully support host mode correctly. :comp:

Next is to try is the bluetooth.... that has already been tried without much success though on the ALDL port in the car.
IMG_7514s.jpg
IMG_7514s.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
A USB 5v charger wired in, and both Rx/Tx on the modual to Pin 9 on the plug.. ground to Pin5. (Initially I had a 220r inline on pin 9 for safety)

ADLDLdroid finds it, and connects to something.. but its not showing anything on the screens. I'm tempted to wire it into the '808 to see what happens.
(Given I want to install an NVRAM into the '808, and if the bluetooth write cal/bin function works... thats a winner for the kawasaki project)

I made a debug log, I'll post it ... something about packet length too short. Looks like somethings corrupted.
debugLog.zip
(3.91 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Cheers.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Looks like you have aldldroid v.80 which didnt work with echo. Update to .81.

Otherwise intersting stuff. I think writing over bluetooth is going to be risky, but it looks like you'll be able to fix it easy enough.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

I forgot about that... While planning for this mod, I found a HC06 BT-TTL device which is close to the HC05 used in the 1320Electronics adapter. Hopefully the app will work without further changes. I don't know what other logic is hiding in the black box- but it can't be much.

What I have to play with today, is the levels to the Rx pins... I made a circuit change last night shown on the data sheet for a voltage divider, but I haven't properly tested it. And it didn't connect to tunerpro yet.. that milestone will be key I think.

Others have done it.. my muppet brain has overlooked something the datasheet is trying to tell me.
Or the input is already blown from 5v.

Cheers!
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

So, I've been mucking with the Bluetooth module... this thing does seem to work, but for now I need one of these I think.
LLC.jpg
LLC.jpg (48.69 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
The HC-06 isn't 5v tolerant apparently on the Rx pin, and something like this will correct both levels to the '808.

I expected to simply replace the FTDI mod with a HC-06. Not going to be quite that easy.
IMG_7531s.jpg
IMG_7531s.jpg (133.78 KiB) Viewed 4838 times
Stupid CRO isn't working, so I'm working blind.. ironic given I had to get some grit removed by the GP yesterday from my eye from grinding.
Yes I was wearing glasses... just un-lucky.

Cheers all
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

everytime i've had grit in my eye was with glasses!
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:everytime i've had grit in my eye was with glasses!

Same!
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Weird isn't, been there too. Felt the hot spark slide ride up the side of my nose into the corner of my eye :(
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Anyone ever had to get the eye lens buffed after getting metal taken out ? That sucks, they put your head in a clamp and flip your eyelid and get this dremel with what looks like a needle in it and say "don't move" while they stick that in your eye ! I've had that twice, and yes I was wearing glasses
ralcool
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Head clamp?, flipped eyelid?, I had none of those luxuries.. The GP used what can be only described as a dremel free hand while I starred for life at the ceiling.

After creating a cavity to remove the rust it honestly felt worse than before. But after a checkup today everything is fine.

Geez that inspection dye makes ya snot bitter :mrgreen: