VK T5 L67

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

VK T5 L67

Post by ralcool »

Okay, I promised to write and introduce myself.

I've used rather a few pieces on information on this forum for the build of this car. Also L67Torque.com

So, Hi I'm Sean.

Build my missus her VK wagon back in '07. Simple VP V6 swap with auto.

Two kids and 100k later it was a little tired, and lacked power for overtaking on the hills. (we're in the bush)

A mate somewhat recently had his VS statesman totaled .. so now a used L67 was sitting under a tree looking for a new home.

So just before xmas, I built up a pile of parts to re build the wagon.

Set of ecotec extractors, custom radiator, balanced flywheel... bunch of usual stuff to also make a T5 manual conversion. :thumbup:

Got it sorted, and it runs really sweet.

Figured out I think all the changes to modify a CKUM bin for manual operation by comparing BWLS and changing a bunch of flags.
No engine light... so happy days. Luckily my '672 has the T5 VSS components. Yay.

That XU6 version Hi octane map seems to have really woken up the motor too.... :driving:

Heres a picture... no its no show pony. A shopping trolley really, but drives, steers and stops with all the good bits underneath.
IMG_6342s.jpg
IMG_6342s.jpg (163.72 KiB) Viewed 7097 times
The rain makes the paint shiny... it isn't really.

I'll talk more later.

Cheers,
Sean
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: VK T5 L67

Post by immortality »

Total sleeper and a weapon. I like :)
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Yeah agree, nice sleeper setup :thumbup:
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah definitely, missus will be happy on the hills now :)
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Always good to read a story with a happy ending. Well done :)
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Macca97
cars: hj ute, hz wagon, copious amounts of random half started side projects

Post by Macca97 »

defiantly a sleeper :p
why have one 202, when you can have 12 and counting, 30+ car graveyard just for fun aswell
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Ta for the positive feedback :mrgreen:

Its a labor of love... and the missus TOTALLY loves it.

I probably don't need to tell you how deceptively quick it is to drive... or the hand of god acceleration..... :shh:

But it is the fuel consumption figures telling another interesting story.

The old VP V6 donk managed to achieve mid to high 10l/100km figures. 10.4, 10.7... over 11 to 12 when towing.

Already I've recorded a best of 9.81l /100km ... and I am still exploring the performance envelope.... could improve more yet!

We don't manage to do much pure highway driving, always in the hills.. and only short trips through towns etc. Unless holidaying.

The T5 Input shaft bearing sounds like a rock crusher at high load / low rpm... That will need dealing with eventually.

Also the legendary Super Charger belt squeak is present.... some new Nuline bearing are here to install. It appears there are 3 LH thread bolts on L67.
The alternator tensioner, the s/c tensioner, and its other pulley to the right under the coil pack... all share the same looking bolt head. Correct?
This week end after some compulsory visits to the in-laws, I'll get to installing the pulleys.

Out of interest, I'll put the link to the thread on l67torque where I detailed a few other things going through my head during the re build for those with access.
http://l67torque.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13471

I do wonder how long the stock 2 pinion 3.23:1 diff will last under the mountain of torque this thing has. I don't drop the clutch, or abuse the driveline.. but.....

Also during the drive I plan to log with TunerPro the journey to check things like speedo ppk value, knock counts, a/f ratios... anything I can remember...
Turns out my old version 4 license needs upgrading for the newer V5.... maybe I should.

I used to do some logging on my VQ, A V8 (W55 Supra Manual) Statesman running a '165 with the '082 xdf, and a Genuine HSV BFPM $12A memcal and knock sensor loom. ($175 in 2003)
Even bought a BCM simulator from Pat Gardner to use that chip, until I learnt how to disable VATS. (Now that redundant simulator is running Fan1 circuit in the VK... lucky eh!)
(That '165 ecm cost only $27 on ebay at the time! lol, ex Camaro IIRC)

A little later I bought (naively at the time) a Power Chip gold to learn its secrets, and used its tweaked timing curves and otherwise few changes back into my memcal. (Modified now with a 29C256).

Much fun. ALDL2 logging at a very early time, Frequented the TunerPro forums, and DIY-EFI.org ... plus some others. You guys took it MUCH farther than I...... :lol: now custom $12P... Wow!

Sometimes you reach a point of contentment and leave things be. If I knew about this forum years ago.... could have shared some ideas... Now you're teaching me.

Thats all I can think of for now.... Time for Beer re-fill. (Home Brew another hobby)

Cheers,

Sean
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

sounds like your having plenty of fun with it all and learning plenty, thats the main thing!
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Do you keg your Homebrew ?
DanWA
cars: LS1 LX Torana, VX2 R8 15th Anniversary, VT Wagon L67

Post by DanWA »

Love this conversion!