antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Re: Delco Gemini, head scratching ahoy

Post by antus »

It depends whats available. Sometimes I do, sometimes I dont. But the nvram contacts arnt exposed, as the pins in the header are inside the plastic plug. and pins on the nvram are inside the chip carrier its plugged in to and pcb tracks have a coating except where they're soldered which is not really exposed. I dont think it is static problems, but I am suspicious of x-ray and I know that does sometimes happen in post. Having said that the Canada package now sounds like insufficient power wiring on the bench and after obtaining a gq-4x and reading the chip the contents of that one look intact.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

X ray would be able to change content on ICs in some cases as it is ionizing radiation.

according to Wikipedia eproms can be erased by x rays.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
slewinson
cars: Barina SB C14SE
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

vlad01 wrote:X ray would be able to change content on ICs in some cases as it is ionizing radiation.

according to Wikipedia eproms can be erased by x rays.
Yep, EPROM works by forcing an electrical charge through insulating silicon oxide layer onto a floating electrode, creating a zero in that bit. To resend the cell, it is traditionally exposed to UV light, giving the electrons trapped in the well enough energy to escape. Any type of ionizing radiation such as X-rays can do the same job.

Simon
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Ok, so thats eprom. But since it takes 5 minutes of direct UV light exposure, I would not expect an eprom to be erased by a split second of x-ray. At least Ive never heard of even a single one coming out the other end of postal transit erased. Never a single video card bios, never a single computer motherboard bios never a single stock pcm (memcal or intel flash) etc...

But NVRAM is RAM so a very different technology.... but having said that my phone doesnt need a reboot after its gone through the airport x-rays, and it sure doesnt have special shielding. Just a plastic back and glass front.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

Agree, but I have encountered EPROMs that sometimes do not program fully and spontaneously corrupt. NVRAM should not be affected by X-rays, but static could possibly cause some corruption if all of the stars aligned and the signal,lines bounced the correct ways. Not likely or even probable, but theoretically possible.

Simon
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

mine corrupted just touching the ECU with ignition off with one finger on the pcb. lights spontaneously lit up on the NVRAM and then it was corrupt lol.

I'd say static could do it too if it was that easy with my finger.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
slewinson
Lexus RX350
VW Golf Mk5 TDI DSG

Post by slewinson »

vlad01 wrote:mine corrupted just touching the ECU with ignition off with one finger on the pcb. lights spontaneously lit up on the NVRAM and then it was corrupt lol.

I'd say static could do it too if it was that easy with my finger.
More likely leakage from the 12V keep alive line.

Simon
Javi
cars: '82 TF Gemini drift car
'76 TX Gemini daily
'75 Gemini Coupe. 'One day'

Post by Javi »

Okay so I have a new problem! Problem is probably not the best word for it, perhaps 'hurdle'?

I'm having a really hard time getting it to not be suuuuper rich when it's cold, to the point where it can actually flood and stall, requiring me to unplug the fuel pump relay, start it, then plug the relay back in. Long story short, I have no idea what I'm doing when trying to sort out cold start; I couldn't find anything in the way of a guide on the forums.

Anyone able to help?
Willsys shit.bin
(32 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
15 may cold start.xdl
(394.01 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Is it meant to be set for a 3bar MAP sensor? Only map switch A had the flag set so just thought it was odd but havnt read the whole thread either! :lol:
Javi
cars: '82 TF Gemini drift car
'76 TX Gemini daily
'75 Gemini Coupe. 'One day'

Post by Javi »

VL400 wrote:Is it meant to be set for a 3bar MAP sensor? Only map switch A had the flag set so just thought it was odd but havnt read the whole thread either! :lol:
Yeah! I got myself a 3 bar sensor because they're pretty cheap and I'm planning on running boost in the future, not more than 1 bar of boost, but a 3 bar sensor was cheaper than a 2 bar.