Getting a trip computer to work with a carbie

For non EFI mechanical discussion
4x4sandman
cars: Too many... vs, wl, hj, hz, wb, gq...

Getting a trip computer to work with a carbie

Post by 4x4sandman »

Hello trendsetters. I've spent a few hours searching round here and there but I need help. Here is what I want to do;

I want to adapt a VS trip computer with all the fuel stats into my 4wd panelvan I'm rebuilding. It has a 355 holden V8 (red block with a scat crank) and a 650 quickfuel dp on top.

I would like to know;

Is the vs trip computer stand alone?
what signals does it use?

Ive found this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Trip- ... 1548095063 and it requires just two peices of info, the speed of the vehical and the injector pulse. I can provide the speed signal as I am running a th4L80 with a compushift2 trans controller. I also have available a tps signal as the transmission needs that two. So, if I were to use a solid state relay switched by the tacho signal, switching the tps voltage, would that then be close enough to an accurate injector signal?

Cheers, Curly.
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Re: Getting a trip computer to work with a carbie

Post by Dylan »

I know very little about them but the VK Calais ran a seperate sender to run it's fuel usage info to it's read out.
Just throwing an idea out there.
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

you would have to use a fuel flow meter in the fuel line before the carb . I believe that's what the vk calais used.
The fuel injected ones take the calculation off the injector pulse using both the frequency and pulse duration to do the fuel usage calc .
found this one on ebay and am sure ther is other ones out there http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Fuel ... 2c7003bfde
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Why don't you inject it ? You have half the stuff you need already and having mates that have played with off-roading an injected motor is better of road at all the weird angles and such ? Also if you run 11p (correct if I'm wrong) this will control your auto as well
jenko
cars: hilux v6
jaguar v12
mitsubishi lancer
fj cruiser
sv 21 camry wagon

Post by jenko »

4x4sandman
cars: Too many... vs, wl, hj, hz, wb, gq...

Post by 4x4sandman »

Thanks for the suggestions so far lads.

At worst I will use a flow meter, there are a couple around and it will tell me what I need to know, but, its not exactly what I want to achieve. I will plant those vs lcd screens into my hz gts dash, somewhere.
The early commodores trip computer does seem like an interesting avenue but in this day and age its a bit barbaric.... Barbaric I say, and i'm using a carbie? Haha yes you have me there, but my carb is a Quickfuel 650 dp built especially for my requirements, for 4wd, its works really well and it doesn't rely on a computer.. Injection you suggest? I have considered this, but no, not now. I have a couple of other boring injected v8's I can drive to the shops in. This car is my toy, at this stage i'm going to be the 'computer' deciding how rich and lean, how advanced the timing is and so on. Trans computer? I already have one, compushift2, google it, its cool.
Me, as a blow in into this forum, am not into doing what the masses say i can, i'm doing what I think can be done, even if it ain't been done before.

So, back to the op, Can anyone say where the vs trip computer lives? And, does anyone know what signals it receives?