VNT on a petrol engine, anyone done it?

General Tuning Questions And Discussions
Gareth

VNT on a petrol engine, anyone done it?

Post by Gareth »

I have read that only Porsche have been able to make this work, why can't we, sounds like a dream, boost from off idle to peak power band!!
I have driven plenty of 2.5lt diesel navaras with fucked turbo control soleniods, they are crap with no boost, totally flat, no power to get going and even less when you get it there... (They run a VNT) imagine what they would be like with a traditional turbo...

For those playing at home wanting to know - variable nozzel turbine = VNT, basically a turbo that has adjustable vanes to allow for optimum turbo performance at all engine speeds.

Imagine a pair of these on a V6...
Last edited by Gareth on Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
delcowizzid

Re: VNT on a petrol engine, anyone done it?

Post by delcowizzid »

holset do some nice mid size units with variable vane that would work well if you can work a way to control it but heat can make the unit stick they need a bit of maintanance in service on deisels to keep them free and moving petrol would get them hotter.im sure 12p flex tables could maybe work the system but i think they are stepper motor control.i can probably get a used unit dropped off here to have a play with and see how it needs to work
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

If you where closer id send you one :thumbup: have a pile of dead ones to play with.

Not sure about the heat issue, we have a couple of nissans we have fitted with boost and egt guages to for customers, and they regularly reported seeing 900's in egt (granted, only for short periods of time) this is what led us to fitting daws valves. None of these vehicles have shat a turbo or engine, yet...

A lot of the stuck units we have had are related to excess carbon build up, shouldn't be a drama on petrol.

The control of the vanes would be the big hurdle, i think that there would be a lot of tuning required to get it right.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

AFAIK its the sustained EGTs are why they are not on petrol engines.

There is a member on here that uses 12P flex output to drive a pair of VNTs on a Holden V8. Hopefully they will chime in with some info and an update on it :)
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Any idea on how it was done as I can get hold of heaps of good Variable geometry turbos for nothing just the controllers have crapped it and they don't sell them seperate
barana
cars: mitz L300
holdens i have owned
TD,TE TG gemini
HBII LC4 UC x2 torana
VH Commodore
EH Special

Post by barana »

Have you still got some vgt units laying around dazza92vp? I was looking at this unit recently thinking it may fit the bill if it could be kept cool https://www.bibus.pt/fileadmin/editors/ ... 2-2008.pdf
"Its alright for god, he doesnt drive a kingswood.Even the nuns only have toranas"-Ted Bullpit
Me:yeah,corse,God's a Holden man
Mate:whaaa?
Me:Psalm 83:15 so pursue them with your Tempest and terrify them with your Storm
A Holden & a pontiac
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Turbo Yoda from the skid factory did a vid on turbskies and covered the variable vane stuff.
Dazza92VP
cars: 92 VP V8 Wagon

Post by Dazza92VP »

Yea still have a couple laying around would have to have a look got ones from 3l 4jj1 up to 6uz1 9.9l all diesel ones and tend to deal with heat up to 6-700c during burns so may be ok to use on a petrol
Spark Automotive
cars: Volvo C70 t5 (motronic 4.4)
Volvo S70 gle (motronic 4.4)
Volvo S40 t4 (Siemens rubbish)
94 S2 VR Calais manual, 3.8 SC14 blower (the one needing a good tune)

Post by Spark Automotive »

KUN26 hiluxs have a separate control unit for the turbo stepper behind the glove box could they be useful at all. You’d pick one up for peanuts from the wreckers, as they rarely break.