Commodore lsd cone damage

For non EFI mechanical discussion
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Commodore lsd cone damage

Post by immortality »

VN-VS BW78 3.08 ratio standard. LSD standard for SS and optional all other models.
VT onward V8's BW80 3.07 auto and 3.46 manual, V6 continued with the BW78 although the IRS diffs are referred to as BW76 for some reason.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

the number refers to the crown size in inches. 78 is 7.8" 80 is 8" and so forth
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

immortality wrote:What type of cutter do you use in the lathe on the cones? My guys at work were a bit skeptical thinking the cones would be made of fairly hard material.
The cones themselves are quite soft, the gears are hard
vs ss
cars: hsv enhanced vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

immortality wrote:What type of cutter do you use in the lathe on the cones? My guys at work were a bit skeptical thinking the cones would be made of fairly hard material.

I just use a carbide cutter,cause as vk3800 just said they are soft.
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

immortality wrote:VN-VS BW78 3.08 ratio standard. LSD standard for SS and optional all other models.
VT onward V8's BW80 3.07 auto and 3.46 manual, V6 continued with the BW78 although the IRS diffs are referred to as BW76 for some reason.
VT-VZ used M75 and M78 (mostly V6s) and M80 (mostly V8s) in IRS cars, also M70 in the front of the AWDs, and M78 and M86 in the live axle commercials. Easy to get numbers mixed up I suspect.

Another popular myth is that the 28 spline/4 spider version of the M75 is an M78, not true - numbers refer to crownwheel size (outside diameter) as mentioned. Note that M75 and M78 crownwheels both use/fit the same carrier (same inside diameter) but won't fit the same housing because of course the larger crownwheel needs the pinion seated further forward.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I'll give it a try, worst case, I fuck a tip :)
immortality

Post by immortality »

VK_3800 wrote:
immortality wrote:VN-VS BW78 3.08 ratio standard. LSD standard for SS and optional all other models.
VT-VZ used M75 and M78 (mostly V6s) and M80 (mostly V8s) in IRS cars, also M70 in the front of the AWDs, and M78 and M86 in the live axle commercials. Easy to get numbers mixed up I suspect.

Another popular myth is that the 28 spline/4 spider version of the M75 is an M78, not true - numbers refer to crownwheel size (outside diameter) as mentioned. Note that M75 and M78 crownwheels both use/fit the same carrier (same inside diameter) but won't fit the same housing because of course the larger crownwheel needs the pinion seated further forward.
Yeah, things got funky from VT onward.

VN-VS was all basically the same stuff other than semi-trailing and IRS.

Personally, If I'm going to fix anything I'm starting with an M80, much greater range of parts avail and they bolt in place of the earlier 78 diffs. That's what my Senator will get eventually.
vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

VK_3800 wrote: Another popular myth is that the 28 spline/4 spider version of the M75 is an M78, not true - numbers refer to crownwheel size (outside diameter) as mentioned. Note that M75 and M78 crownwheels both use/fit the same carrier (same inside diameter) but won't fit the same housing because of course the larger crownwheel needs the pinion seated further forward.

Yeh I don't know how many people I've had bring ford 0578 gears to fit in vn-vs commodores cause people tell them they are the same.
vs ss
vt xu6
fb holden
toyota landcruiser
vt ss s1

Post by vs ss »

I fitted an m80 in my vs and all the people I have seen do it normally cut if the spigot and fit the four bolt flange. I went the other way and had the tailshaft made to keep the rubber couplings and just shimmed the center bearing to align it better. It is amazing how much smoother the car is and no shudder when taking off.
immortality

Post by immortality »

vs ss wrote:I have an m80 in my vs and all the people I have seen do it normally cut if the spigot and fit the four bolt flange. I went the other way and had the tailshaft made to keep the rubber couplings and just shimmed the center bearing to align it better. It is amazing how much smoother the car is and no shudder when taking off.
Or you could just use a VT M80 which still used the flanged D/S's.

I've not had any issues with shudder in my VS Senator other than those caused by a stuffed LSD centre.