Delco Jeep

Converting To Delco ECU From Carby Or Other Injection Systems
v6bucket

Delco Jeep

Post by v6bucket »

I'm in the process of tuning my 97 Jeep Cherokee that's been converted to run an 808 Delco with help from VL400 & the Programmable Delco Ignition Module . At this stage I'm only using it to run the spark until I'm confident to connect the fuel side. I've extended a VP V6 loom so that the ecu can be placed under the passenger seat as there's no room under the dash.
1st road test yesterday using this $12P-V1.11-BLCD-Straight-6. as the starting point, I had a couple of MALF's show
DTC15-ECT Voltage High
DTC23-IAT Signal High
DTC22-TPS Voltage Low
I've tapped into the Jeep TPS wiring but the other 2 are delco sensors. How do I clear these?
This is a log, ignore the engine temp as I moved the sensor to a different location.
1st Road test.xdl
(749.59 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
Holden202T

Re: Delco Jeep

Post by Holden202T »

there is a point at 15 minutes into the log where the CTS goes to zero ..... I assume this is the bit you said to disregard ?

there is also something weird with the TPS ... it looks like it works, but there is also little spikes of a few percent all the time in the log .... possibly something to do with the fast your sharing it ....
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I had 2 temp sensors in & connected to the 2nd one which reads the correct ect.
The the tps works, but I haven't studied the log very closely yet.
"Definition of a Drag Racer: A person who spends money he doesn't have on parts he doesn't need to impress people he doesn't know." - Grumpy Jenkins----- Poverty---
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

Looking good. To work out why the error codes are being set, reset them and go for a drive while logging. Will be able to see the point they get set and work out what triggered it.

And i agree on the TPS, it looks electrically noisy with the small spikes. Even closed when idling it jumps up a fraction. The 5V reference that the Jeep ECU supplies to the TPS might not be as stable?
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

Here's a log from yesterday. I've started to play with the timing with the help from a knock block. There's a point at the 8min mark that retards the timing timing to 21° not sure what's retarding it, and a few extra faults.
12P80866.XDL
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 331 times
VL400
cars: VL Calais and Toyota Landcruiser. Plus some toys :)

Post by VL400 »

The 8 min mark is dropping to the idle spark most likely.

Code 13 - No o2 sensor installed?
Code 15 - Need to reset the codes and see when its set
Code 22 - Need to reset the codes and see when its set
Code 23 - Looks like the MAT signal is grounded? Always 0.0V
Code 24 - No speed sensor installed?
Code 35 - No IAC connected?

Not sure how its all wired, but you cant piggy back the Jeep ECU coolant or manifold temp sensors.
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

The only Jeep sensor that I've "piggy backed" is the tps.
The etc is from a VP.
No O2 or Speed sensor connected to this ecu at this stage.
No IAC, still working out how to install.
I'll check the sensor & wiring with the MAT as it was working in the log below.
3rd Road Test.xdl
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 311 times
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

I cleared the malf's, changes the etc, iat sensors & checked connections. I didn't drive the car but had it idling until it warmed up, only fault that came up is "idle speed error", which I imagine is because the Jeep is idling at 750rpm & the Delco is asking for a different rpm.
MALF CLEAR.xdl
(711.99 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

yeah if the idle is too high or low and it can't adjust it to suit it will give that error....

might be worth putting the idle speed in the tune at what the motor is actually idling at, might help it to stop trying to chase its tail to get the idle higher or lower! and if its at the right rpm in the tune in closed loop idle it will use the spark advance/retard to smooth idle :)
v6bucket

Post by v6bucket »

How do I alter the "Desired Idle RPM", I can't find it in the FAQ's or anywhere else, I know it will be on here somewhere, but I can't find it. :sad2: