Tinkers Rides rb30 to delco

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Tinker

Re: Tinkers Rides rb30 to delco

Post by Tinker »

antus wrote:It sounds like its loosing sync. Can you have a look at the REF signal on a scope and see if its clean?
Yes i will look into that.

Also also have questions about distributor ref signal , output from the camera type module. Does my signal need any conditioning before the ecm.

As i am running the rb30 dizzy ,cardboard cutout 6 slots approx 5deg wide . gives a square wave output . straight into dis ref .

I have pulled apart the 3x 18x setup, I could have looked at the output from that for dis ref sig,

After looking back over my post on page 7 there is a good diagram showing 60' high the 60' low , this is not what i have . will go back and try again.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

it should be 5v peak to peak square wave with no or very minimal square wave. When we did the nissan cas its 8v signal was very noisey. We tried 4 or 5 modules from the wreckers, all were the same. Then we got new aftermarket and the noise went away and so did the problems.

If you just want it to work the delco dis on non dis egine thread with a usa or rodeo v6 cas and manufacture a balancer trigger might be a better option. The nissan system isnt great.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Ok , So did a couple of tests with my first disc - clean PW signal from 35ms down to 4ms with disc high to lo 30 deg (camshaft)
IMG_1331.jpeg
slow.jpg
fast.jpg
And a smallest PW of 1.ms with disc with a 5deg hole, Signal looks good.
IMG_1332.jpeg
fast 3.jpg
The est bypass does the same thing with both discs goes HI after 400 then goes LO at the drills fastest speed witch is about 2000 rpm .

At this time i think i will continue with making a ignition module and see what happens :comp:

I am still thinking that the problem is more to do with my bench setup ( sensors not connected etc )
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

Thats a logic scope though, you need to see the analog version to see if there is electrical noise or something wrong with the signal which the logic analyser is dealing with but which could be causing problems from the ECM. I posted a trace back here and you can see noise spikes, and it was a lot worse on the bad CAS modules. You wouldn't be able to see that on the logic analyzer though. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=425&start=60#p117378

I doubt its your bench setup, the logic trace looks fine and sensor missing wouldn't affect it only above a certain RPM. I've been though hell with this system in the past so I guess I'm burnt and you know what our solution was in the end.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

So I found someone to 3d print out my disc , came out pretty good (for a test anyway) .painted black to stop any light getting through. on my bench setup found it to run better but still not perfect. Going to try it on my engine asap and see what happens .
IMG_1434.jpeg

A couple of things i found out after buying a old harmonic balancer of a V6 VR ecotec. / VN buick (series 1?) and ecotec sensor rings have different spacing and will not interchange .

Also The high and low spacing is not the same as you would think looking at the output on top of page 7 / 18x 10deg high 10 deg low . The width is approx 12.5mm wide and 10.5 mm wide ( have not worked out degrees) .If i had of known this at the start i think i would of changed my disc spacing to match. could be the reason i am loosing sync.

Anyway just putting it out there if someone goes down my path. Anyone out there confirm VN buick v6 18x rings have the same spacing (width)?
Attachments
IMG_1431 2.jpeg
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Looking at the 3d printed part and paper part pictures the edges of the 3x look to line up with the edges of the 18x?

Doesn't the 3x sync work by counting the 18x transitions during a 3x sync pulse? There for the edges should be offset?

EG. The 3d printed one, the largest 3x slot has 2x 18x transitions inside it, but its hard to tell if the outer 2 are or not
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
antus
Site Admin
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute

Post by antus »

There are some pics and the timings on the VN/VP here viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1015#p11532
Nothing not already talked about.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

pman92 wrote:Looking at the 3d printed part and paper part pictures the edges of the 3x look to line up with the edges of the 18x?

Doesn't the 3x sync work by counting the 18x transitions during a 3x sync pulse? There for the edges should be offset?

EG. The 3d printed one, the largest 3x slot has 2x 18x transitions inside it, but its hard to tell if the outer 2 are or not

If you look at page 4 you can see that the beams in the rb30 cas are not in line they are offset . The cas sensor for the delco inner and outer are in line. So what i did was made the 3x ring in CAD able to rotate as one . Then checking with the smallest notch with logic analyser so it lined up with an 18x transition. The spacing will never look like the delco rings spacing. Hope this makes sense to you .
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Ok I have everything hooked up and connected . Tried for a engine start and was no good ;-( . Back to checking the basics its got air and fuel (injectors are firing) but only has spark on 1 coil out of the 3 . This is a vn s1 coil pack with the 3 coils moulded into one unit. I am sure that the dfi module is ok as i have had it running on the bench. Looking for someone that could lend (or sell cheap) me a coil pack to test setup. I don’t want to buy a new one as i think i will go crank trigger even if my setup works. Anyone out there help ?
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

man its making you work for it! but its getting there!