Post by 67panel »

Ok sounds good.
Umm, what is an eprom programmer?

m
festy
cars: Alfa Romeos

Re: VS 5L into 2a Landrover

Post by festy »

An eprom programmer is a device that can directly read and write to the memory IC that the bin is stored on.
In a standard memcal that memory IC is an EPROM. To write to an EPROM you first need to erase it by exposing to UV light. These are the ICs with a little glass window usually covered by a sticker.
Another type of memory IC is an EEPROM, which is electrically erasable, but otherwise similar to an EPROM. You can't "update" either of these types, you have to erase them completely then re-program.

An NVRAM can be read/erased/written much like an EPROM, but they can also be updated without wiping the whole chip - which is why they're needed for real-time tuning. The ECU itself can update the bin in real-time, once an RT-aware bin is loaded.

To initially load the bin onto any type of memory IC including an NVRAM it needs to be programmed in with an eprom programmer. From then on with an NVRAM you *shouldn't* need to use the programmer, but if you do something dumb while tuning you could end up with a corrupted bin and have to re-program the NVRAM IC outside of the ECU if it won't boot anymore.

My current favourite eprom programmer is the MiniPro USB TL866, you can pick them up for about $50 on ebay and probably cheaper elsewhere.

It's not essential to have an eprom programmer and you will quite likely never need to use one...
67panel
cars: 68 SWB Series 2a Landrover
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

I see.
Though if I'm to fit an ECU without the original memcal but rather the NVRAM and USB comms, them there shouldn't be a need for a eprom programmer then?

m
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Also, is there any other way of contacting Antus ie; via email or something?
I have sent him a couple of PM's, though haven't heard anything back as yet.

Cheers...
m
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

67panel wrote:Also, is there any other way of contacting Antus ie; via email or something?
I have sent him a couple of PM's, though haven't heard anything back as yet.

Cheers...
m
Just chill, his a busy bloke and he'l get back to you ( is Ant doing them still )
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Ah, all good.
We're all busy blokes. Was just wondering just in case he isn't doing them anymore, that's all.

Cheers mate...
Matt
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

Ok guys,
So the project has come a long way (albeit, Slowly) and I'm about to start on wiring this thing all up.
One question I do have is can the computer (808) be mounted in a sealed compartment (box)?
Do they get hot or require some air flow around them to operate properly?
If not, can they handle moisture or are the boxes they're fitted in already somewhat water resistant?
I haven't got the actual computer yet, though should have it in the coming days.

reason I ask is that this vehicle has not got a roof, so there aren't too many places to mount the ecu that will be totally out of the elements.
Best spot will be up high on the engine side of the firewall.

Any advice is appreciated.
Cheers...
Matt
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Put the ECM up under the dash panelling on the left side inside the vehicle.
Attachments
LR2A.jpg
LR2A.jpg (550.17 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
67panel
00 Defender 130 Dual Cab
63 VW Type 3
55 VW Kombi
63 Holden EH Wagon

Post by 67panel »

I wish it were that easy.
The vehicle has no roof and gets full of water in winter!

m
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Run a bead of sealant around the ECM and make sure the wiring plugs are at the lowest point.

I wouldn't put it in the engine bay, the heat from the engine will eventually cause problems and you'll still have the water concerns anyway. The engine bay of Series 2A Landies were designed to hold and cool a straight 4 cylinder. Straight 6 cylinders aren't bad but put a V8 in it and you lose all the cooling effect of a cushion of air on both sides of the engine.