Ulimate 98 in a n/a ecotec V6 ?

TdracerTd
cars: Td Gemini coupe (race car WIP)
Holden VE SS ute (tow car/daily)
Vp commodore V6 (race car, s/c, e85, intercooled)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland (mrs car, family bus)
My12 subaru STi (Weekend warrior/Toy)
1972 LJ torana GTR (my Dad's car)
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Re: Ulimate 98 in a n/a ecotec V6 ?

Post by TdracerTd »

vlad01 wrote:
TdracerTd wrote:Just something that I don't think has been mentioned. Higher octane fuels burn cooler and require more energy to ignite. So, by running a higher octane fuel your combustion temp for a given set of conditions will be lower, reducing the heat in the heads/combustion chamber, added to that, the fuel requires more heat/energy to actually combust. That's where the knock resistance comes in.
Yes it does burn cooler for a given CR, but the idea is its more energy dense and requires higher thermal input to react it with oxygen completely. So its required to have a higher dynamic CR to be able to release its higher energy content.

That is the reason it yields better economy in engines that have a high enough CR, if the CR is sufficient enough better power is yielded too. At those scenarios 91 fuel is virtually out of the questions due to its low knock threshold.

I have noticed 98 fuel always burns blacker in the combustion chamber and exhaust in stock V6 with 8.5:1 compared to 91 with the same AFRs, that means the combustion can't be fully utilized on 8.5, not even 9:1.

On ecotec with 9.4, that would be coming into usable range.

But with the quality of 91, I'd be using 98 regardless.
I don't think the octane rating of a fuel has anything to do with energy density. Ethanol fuels have much higher octane rating than that of petroleum based fuels, yet are much less "energy dense", I.e. for a given mass of both fuels, ethanol yield less energy output.

The reason that ethanol fuels have a higher octane rating is that it is harder to ignite and burns cooler.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Maybe the 95 in Aussie is different to the stuff we get here in NZ?

I've seen the pics of fuel filters with the red stuff running out of them but I've not encountered that here after changing fuel filters. I'll have to do the one on the missus L67 again shortly so I'll see what that one is like. It lives on a diet of Caltex 95 fuel.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

its probably different, as I only use BP fuel, 95 back then and 98 now.

99% of the servos are BP in all the areas I go.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

immortality wrote:Maybe the 95 in Aussie is different to the stuff we get here in NZ?

I've seen the pics of fuel filters with the red stuff running out of them but I've not encountered that here after changing fuel filters. I'll have to do the one on the missus L67 again shortly so I'll see what that one is like. It lives on a diet of Caltex 95 fuel.
red stuff is normally additive dye (injector cleaner ect) a lot of ppl just throw the whole bottle in without rtfing :)
TdracerTd wrote: I don't think the octane rating of a fuel has anything to do with energy density. Ethanol fuels have much higher octane rating than that of petroleum based fuels, yet are much less "energy dense", I.e. for a given mass of both fuels, ethanol yield less energy output.

The reason that ethanol fuels have a higher octane rating is that it is harder to ignite and burns cooler.
Fuel BTU's ? yeah like lpg over 100 octane but lower btu than petrol....

Meh fuel octane rating's ect has been discussed to death there are so many POV on the subject, then factor in the different variables in a combustion engine, I spent 6 years drag racing in the 80's not to mention 20+ years R/C racing in the air on the ground and water,always chancing those extra nano seconds and HP. These days Im happy that the bloody car starts and lasts as long as it can on a tight budget :D
Last edited by wozza on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

TdracerTd wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
TdracerTd wrote:Just something that I don't think has been mentioned. Higher octane fuels burn cooler and require more energy to ignite. So, by running a higher octane fuel your combustion temp for a given set of conditions will be lower, reducing the heat in the heads/combustion chamber, added to that, the fuel requires more heat/energy to actually combust. That's where the knock resistance comes in.
Yes it does burn cooler for a given CR, but the idea is its more energy dense and requires higher thermal input to react it with oxygen completely. So its required to have a higher dynamic CR to be able to release its higher energy content.

That is the reason it yields better economy in engines that have a high enough CR, if the CR is sufficient enough better power is yielded too. At those scenarios 91 fuel is virtually out of the questions due to its low knock threshold.

I have noticed 98 fuel always burns blacker in the combustion chamber and exhaust in stock V6 with 8.5:1 compared to 91 with the same AFRs, that means the combustion can't be fully utilized on 8.5, not even 9:1.

On ecotec with 9.4, that would be coming into usable range.

But with the quality of 91, I'd be using 98 regardless.
I don't think the octane rating of a fuel has anything to do with energy density. Ethanol fuels have much higher octane rating than that of petroleum based fuels, yet are much less "energy dense", I.e. for a given mass of both fuels, ethanol yield less energy output.

Im referring to petroleum based fuels, totally different chemistry. For petrol the higher octane rated fuels do have a higher density. The higher octane fuel contains heavier hydrocarbon molecules, such as octane and less of the lighter fraction of heptane etc...
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

Thanks for all your recent replies guys. You have manage to make me understand the answers to the questions I was asking & some I hadn't thought of asking. Finally I now understand why the Top Swap L67 need the Spark Timing retarded from stock settings.
With regards to BP fuels, a close friend who worked at the Lab in the refinery here in Perth WA told me all the fuels were strictly produced to a standard. So in saying that a lot of different brand servos over here get their fuels from BP. In the Eastern states BP servos get their fuels from the Shell refinery. She said it didn't matter if you got Shell 98, Caltex 98 or BP 98 they were all the same level of quality. She couldn't say the same for the lower premium 95's & 96's though.

Cheers
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

vlad01 wrote:
Im referring to petroleum based fuels, totally different chemistry. For petrol the higher octane rated fuels do have a higher density. The higher octane fuel contains heavier hydrocarbon molecules, such as octane and less of the lighter fraction of heptane etc...
The point I am trying to make though, is that the octane rating of a fuel has zero to do with it's energy density. Octane ratings refer to a fuel's resistance to ignition.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

TdracerTd wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
The point I am trying to make though, is that the octane rating of a fuel has zero to do with it's energy density. Octane ratings refer to a fuel's resistance to ignition.
Thats also how I understand it...
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Not saying octane it linked to energy density, just that density being higher is a byproduct of the chemistry used in making petrol higher octane rated. That doesn't apply to other types of fuel. Eg ethanol is low density and high octane and diesel is very high density yet it's octane is rated around 20 something.

I remember there was an article on the sidi flex fuel holdens when they came out and 3 or 4 cars were driven together from Melbourne to Sydney and 3 fuels were tested. 98 for the best mileage out of 91 and e85. And the fuel densities were mentioned and 98 was few % denser than 91 and was the argument used behind the better economy. Another note was the e85 was considerably more powerful despite way less density but economy was a lot less obviously.

One way to test this is see how much BLM change from 91 to 98.
TdracerTd
Mitsubishi Evo IX

Post by TdracerTd »

I would think that the difference between 91 and 98 in energy density would be very small and wouldn't account for the increased mileage. More likely would be that the ECU was able to optimize ignition timing on the higher octane fuel, thus improving the efficiency of the engine. The drop in economy from petrol - Ethanol would certainly be due to the difference in energy density though, as ethanol is roughly only 2/3s as energy dense as petrol by volume.