Torana SS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
Gareth

Re: Torana SS

Post by Gareth »

Your engineering skills are next level!!

Love this thread :thumbup:
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I agree, even for the ideas and implementation of them, your thread is a great resource to this community. :thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
heff0018
cars: CL valiant charger, VH valiant charger

Post by heff0018 »

Just caught up on this thread, very inspirational. Thanks
VK_3800
cars: SS Torana

Post by VK_3800 »

Thanks guys, nothing particularly exciting today I'm afraid.

As far as I know the old fuel pressure reg was working, but it is 30 years old so would be a shame to put together a new EFI system and have problems with it later. I like the Radium engineering pieces, quite pricey but then when you compare to a factory replacement not so bad! Bought one of their new style adjustable ones that can mount directly to the rail.

It came with the AN-6 to AN-8 o-ring boss swivel adapter on the right, but the rail doesn't have quite enough meat to accommodate this and I wasn't going to machine new custom rails just for this. Made up the stainless fitting on the left instead, made it fairly long and the retainer is a very snug fit to give plenty of support.

Still allows swivelling to any angle.

The return comes out the bottom with an AN-6 flare fitting (I don't understand this obsession, you always need adapters for OEM parts). You can buy hose tail adapters... for $35 each! Wasn't going to pay that just on principle, so I made one of them too.

Heaps of room, it's great not having a big distributor cap and leads in the way. Both the return and the top part with the vacuum connection can swivel 360 degrees.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Some nice machine work there.

I too like the Radium stuff, unfortunately I had already bought a different brand before I discovered them. I'm still considering adding a Radium fuel pressure damper onto my fuel rail as I had deleted the factory unit.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

I have one of those in the feed side rail

Perhaps with the electronic pressure sensor I'll be able to tell whether it achieves much?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

This is exactly what I had in mind with the Radium reg to fit the V6, since genuine regs are extremely expensive, over $300 now. But I was not happy with the idea of welding on adapters to make it all work.

But this sort of design for the fitting is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. Plus adding a damper to the rail would be nice too, since the genuine inline ones are going for over $600 NOS now.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
VK_3800

Post by VK_3800 »

Previously the wiring was P clipped to the underside of the fuel rails with some M5 cap screws. As you might imagine they weren't very easy to access. Machined a small pocket around the holes.

And used them to locate a stainless bracket. These will just use cable ties and place the wiring at the bottom/inside of the rail where access is a little better, but still somewhat hidden from sight.

Gave up trying to sand the instrument surrounds smooth and used some primer filler.

I think they came out out OK, will find out the first time I turn the lights on.

Decided to steal the hazard light setup I built for another vehicle. This combines the original mechanical overrides for both the reverse lights (Torana uses the rear indicators) and adds hazards (from early Commodore).
No idea where the knob for the hazards is, if I ever even had it. Made a new one.

Just needs a hole in the coffee pot to pass through.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

VK_3800 wrote:I have one of those in the feed side rail

Perhaps with the electronic pressure sensor I'll be able to tell whether it achieves much?
I guess that comes down to the response time of the sensor and data sample rate via the PCM?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I think a temp mechanical one would be the way to do, dial the pressure in and the mechanical ones shows variation and flutter very well without getting something with lab quality type of sensitivity and sample rate.

Once you're done with the mechanical one, remove it and done!