VE commodore calibration update

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

VE commodore calibration update

Post by pman92 »

Hey all,
We have a 3.6 SIDI Ve commodore ute at work that intermittently throws a P0430 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 2. I've spent a lot of time on it and cannot find anything wrong. I've had the scope on all 4 O2 sensors and they are exactly as I would expect to see. I've swapped bank 1 and bank 2 sensors and it continues to throw the code on only bank 2.
A VIN search on Tis2web shows there is an updated calibration relating to code P0430.
The local Holden dealer has not been much help (they sound like they have no idea what their talking about), so if possible I would like to update it myself.
I understand we will have to purchase a subscription to Tis2Web (3 day one or whatever).
We have a Autoland Sciencetech VeDis11 scan tool capable of J2534 pass through, however we have never used it for this purpose.

I've never done this before and don't want to stuff it up, so was wondering if someone could give me a run down of the procedure.
Do I have to ensure I can reprogram keys after its done?
What do I have to look out for. Etc

Thanks in advance
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Gareth

Re: VE commodore calibration update

Post by Gareth »

Hi Pman,

This is an area I have had a lot to do with.

It is hard to 'stuff it up', you must follow all TIS instructions as shown which are very basic (they are written for techs...) and Bobs your aunty.

As for your pass through I have no idea, we use Tech2 and drewtech.

Cheers, Gareth.
Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...
vn5000
cars: vn v8 commodore

Post by vn5000 »

Not sure on the v6 but with the ve v8 engines that code shows up if the catalytic convertors have been punched out or damaged.
The easy fix for the v8 e38 pcm is to delete the 2 efficiency codes.
Have you tried swapping or replacing the cats.
I use tech2 and my standalone version of tis and it works well.
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Yep that's what the codes for. It's saying the cat is inefficient/not working as well as it should.
It's monitoring the downstream O2 sensor and comparing to the upstream to confirm the cat is working.

Havnt swapped cats as they are different between left and right so can't.
Don't really want to outlay for a new cat if it doesn't fix the problem. The cats havnt been bashed out or damaged.
Have already eliminated exhaust leaks possibly letting O2 into the exhaust stream and causing it, have removed and applied sealer to the exhaust joins.

I believe the problem is the cat is slightly inefficient, and the PCM is too stringent on what it calls a fail.
If GM has a calibration update for it then that kind of confirms its being too stringent, or they had the problem and decided on a calibration update instead of replacing heaps of cats under warranty.
Whatever the reason I'm certain the re calibration will fix it.
MrModule.com.au
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

has the car got an exhaust or stock ? i've seen alot of v8's with exhausts get similar codes.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

What year is it ? Does it do lots of short trips ? May be a good run up the highway to burn the crap out may help ?
VX L67 Getrag

Post by VX L67 Getrag »

If you know someone with HPT or similar you can do a write entire if you/they have the updated calibration file.

But yeah using tis is pretty easy I borrowed a chinese tech2 & go it working well in the car, not as well on the bench for the later controllers.
But been told the later MDI as pass thru or other similar pass thru's supported by TIS are even easier!
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

It looks like your tool will be able to work with it. Connect the tool to your pc and install the drivers for J2543 which came with it, make sure that looks like it works smoothly. Then yeah, buy the 2 day "service programming only" pass and see how you go. I think prices are USD, $55.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
jca
cars: HQ monaro
vz ss thunder
ve ss sports wagon

Post by jca »

Im in ballarat can turn off the code with hpt if tis dosnt work but its pretty straight forward depending on ur device
pman92
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Ok guys I think it's all good. Spent an hour on the phone with our scan tool supplier running through installing drivers and getting the pass through going.
He also helped me run through SPS but it was all pretty straight forward anyway.

One thing I've noticed though is when I go into the PCM on the scan tool and into system information it still lists the part # as the same one it previously was.
The part number was and still scans as 12635019
When searching the vin on tis2web it lists the "Standard Calibration/Service fix for P0420/P0430" as 12635020.

However now when I go into the engine control module on SPS and select the "Standard Cal/Service fix for P0420/P0430", after it connects it brings up a box saying "the selected calibration is the same as the one in the vehicle".
I guess this confirms the calibration has been updated even though the part number hasn't?

Time will tell to see if it's fixed I guess
MrModule.com.au