Engine wont start after swap

For non EFI mechanical discussion
hsv08
cars: (EX) VT SENATOR 355 STROKER
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Re: Engine wont start after swap

Post by hsv08 »

vs ss wrote:The engine is rubber mounted so the earth has to go to the block not subframe,the vx should go to a small hole just behind the ps pump. Glad you sorted it.
Yea the v8s are still somewhat grounded through the subframe but apparently these arnt. Yea that's the bolt hole i used. The loom that came with the motor had a different sized earth end so the bolts must be slightly different in size.
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

immortality wrote:I thought maybe you'd managed to run yourself over as we hadn't heard from you in such a long time.

Good to hear you have it sorted.
Hahaha yea biggvl even post scripted it in his post to make sure the car is not in gear and don't run yourself over haha.
It sounds funny but guarantee there is somebody who has done it
Haha
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yep, I've been pinned under a VS when it went sideways on a jack and axle stand, fortunately the axle stand wedged sideways under the chassis and prevented my chest taking the full weight. Not a pleasant experience and one I never wish to repeat.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

hsv08 wrote:
vs ss wrote:The engine is rubber mounted so the earth has to go to the block not subframe,the vx should go to a small hole just behind the ps pump. Glad you sorted it.
Yea the v8s are still somewhat grounded through the subframe but apparently these arnt. Yea that's the bolt hole i used. The loom that came with the motor had a different sized earth end so the bolts must be slightly different in size.
I'm not a big fan of the main grounding point on the V6 engines as they always seem to have oil on them which has the potential to act as an insulator.
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

immortality wrote:Yep, I've been pinned under a VS when it went sideways on a jack and axle stand, fortunately the axle stand wedged sideways under the chassis and prevented my chest taking the full weight. Not a pleasant experience and one I never wish to repeat.
Very true. I've actually had a vt roll sideways at me in a single internal access garage while undoing the bottom arm bolt, on stands. It pushed me backwards into the wall but I had just enough strength to push it back away. Along with a back mark through the gib :/ not a cool feeling watching it unfold in slow motion.
hsv08
(EX) VT SS 304 MANUAL
NOW VX V6 HACK

Post by hsv08 »

immortality wrote:
hsv08 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the main grounding point on the V6 engines as they always seem to have oil on them which has the potential to act as an insulator.
I was surprised that the only negative from the battery runs down a single wire to the block. The SS and senator both had around 3 of them earthing to block battery tray and engine bay.
I'm defiantly going to find somewhere to throw another earth as that 8g wire doesn't look great.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

get a bit of 0g and earth the bastard properly. i seem to remember the VNs having an earth strap under coil pack to the body
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.