1977 HX GTS

Post Your Delco Powered Ride Here
delcowizzid

Re: 1977 HX GTS

Post by delcowizzid »

mines over 500000km oil is dirty as shit can see dirt particles in the oil on the stick just wont die LOL but they are not a performance car box with the gear spacing 1st to 2nd and they soak up more power than a t350 not the box i would put in a fun car LOL daily driver that just cruises yeah great
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:how is it any different to the V8 box ? as far as i am aware its just the bellhousing ???

i've never heard of a failure of one that was not from abuse/too much power or old age/neglect .... !?!?!
Aren't the v8 box something entirely different? To the v6?
That said my only experience with a v8 was a 4l60e and that died too. The 2nd unit is holding up ok but it's not great either.

I don't get the concept of abuse on autos? That not posible unless revving in N and slamming into D or R as I understand it?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

i've been inside both and like i said the only difference i can see was the bellhousing....

by abuse i mean like burnouts and such .... the V8 T700 i have in the bedford came from an unknown history (ebay) but the 304 was in pieces and missing the cam, had C.O.M.E memcal and a big converter, from what come told me its not a massive cam but that and the converter along with ported heads tells me it was hotted up, and most of the clutches in the thing were burnt bad .... even just fitting a trans cooler to any tranny will help aid longgevity ..... particularly when doing burnouts and big converters all make alot more heat!
Dylan
cars: VR Commodore V8

Post by Dylan »

Tye V8 T700's die at about right on 200k in my experiences but the V6 I've never come across a crook one.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I've had all mine and other's V6 (cable type) die on that 180-250K mark.

usually they loose all gears or slip really bad that they barely move the car.

Only ones I have seen last longer ironically are the ones never serviced from factory. I reckon the metal shavings keep them sealed enough to work, seems to be backed up by the fact the failure happen most often immediately after a fluid change.

Other issues that seem to be common is a ball valve that hammers itself into the vavlve body plate, effecting 3/4 iirc? My mates 4L60E has this, but it also had lots of mechanical issues requiring upgrades to overcome factory short falls. Stockish Vy v6 that was in.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

Most I got out of one behind a gen 3 was about 30,000 k's. Went through 3 in 4 years, very expensive car to keep on the road
v8slrtorana
cars: HX Holden 5ltr EFI
HX Holden 5ltr carby

Post by v8slrtorana »

Its a lot to do with money for me, Y i like my t400's better.
I've had 3 T400's over the years. Same stall 9" hi stall convertor.
I've cracked 2 bell housings. Both in anger. Neither the fault of the box -
1st. I was well into a power skid, guden pin ate a cylinder bore at 7000rpm.
2nd. Just last year on the drag strip the tail shaft ate the tunnel.
With that said, you only have to cut the cracked belly off & fit a JW housing.

I've noticed with the t700's they have clutch, drum, bore/sleeve issues.
Not saying i don't like them, but they are expensive.
I buy a t400 from a wreck, cost me $500 and you can race it. After all they was built for big blocks.

T700 caused idle issues.
Now this is strange. However when i bolted the 700 in i had to bump the idle 100rpm both in & OUT of gear ! I'm not blaming the box, but the size of the convertor - 13".

I really would like a healthy t700. Something built to take way more HP then i have. 2-3k
And then i need a matching convertor. Another 1K.
Another 9" gear set, hhmmm $500
Adds up quick for club permit car. (I've driven it 6000km in 3 years)
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

it all adds up, Iv'e spends well over 3.5k on my T5 building 90% of it myself and then on top the clutch was 7-800 and flywheel 500.

My friend spend about 3.5-4k building his 4L60E himself with new TC.

With anything performance wanting to last you need to shake it over a bin and then stuff the insides with wads of money.
ralcool
cars: VK L67 T5
VQ V8 W55
Kawasaki 750turbo

Post by ralcool »

Dylan wrote:Tye V8 T700's die at about right on 200k in my experiences but the V6 I've never come across a crook one.
Tis funny you say that, My VQ V8 when it had the T700, died at a little over 210000km. Maybe cruising at 100mph in the NT for hours in the heat didn't help....
Long story short, Stupid thing kicked back into third on a bit of a hill at that speed and lunched the internals. Dunno why, but it cost $2.5k to fix.

It failed again about 40k later. Shift kitted, new converter, proper cooler...all that shit, just a daily driver. That's when I decided to do a Supra 5sp conversion.
That box managed over 100k on the original clutch. The car is now out of service for other reasons.

Mind you, there is the 4L60 box sitting on the floor here from the 420000km L67 VS Statesman it came from in otherwise previously perfect working condition!
The owner casually serviced it, and drove it frequently and by no means nicely. (Typical point and shoot driver) Probably the long country miles added to the reliability.

I used a old '91 stamped model T5 box in the VK behind the L67 instead. Its a bit tired, but holding up well. I'm not spending $3.5k like vlad to rebuild it.

This kind of over engineering isn't very apparent anymore. Or am I mistaken, since 'sealed for life' is increasingly common.

Cheers
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

vlad01 wrote:My friend spend about 3.5-4k building his 4L60E himself with new TC.
WTF ? i rebuilt my V8 T700 with apparently 500hp capability and dominotr 2200rpm converter for well under half of that!