cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: 1977 HX GTS

Post by vlad01 »

Holden202T wrote:
vlad01 wrote:My friend spend about 3.5-4k building his 4L60E himself with new TC.
WTF ? i rebuilt my V8 T700 with apparently 500hp capability and dominotr 2200rpm converter for well under half of that!
He had to replace a heap of mechanical parts and those spline thingos, ahh reaction shells? to race spec ones as they were on the verge of totally being stripping. So the drive to the shaft was about to be lost at any moment. Even the pump needed all the internals replacing, everything in the auto was munched up despite having regular services every 6-12 months. The only thing that was still good was the band lol.

Its good now, fully beefed up and shift kited.

He did buy another auto to rebuild but found it was in worse condition and the wrong model to his, there are quite a few versions of the v6 4L60E. So had to build his one instead.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
Holden202T

Post by Holden202T »

evernything was good in mind other than worn clutches and dodgy ass home shift kit, i got a tci transcat kit that came with a new seperator plate as mine was bent in the accumulator area, it also had all the springs and such to make it RV/Tow shift kitted which is what i want for it!

the dearest bits were all the servos, shell and such, the rebuild kit itself wasn't too bad!
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

someones finally fixed the main downside to 700r4 slipping 3rd clutchpack http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-Sonnax-Sm ... W2&vxp=mtr
im scared to change the fluid in mine its giving the clutches extra bite lol
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
The1

Post by The1 »

looks interesting, fair amount of coin and looks like you have to purchase a separate input shaft as well ontop, i guess if you dont want to have to pull the box again its good.
v8slrtorana
cars: HX Holden 5ltr EFI
HX Holden 5ltr carby

Post by v8slrtorana »

Are you guys saying the 4L60E is a better box then TH700 ?
I want to convert the wifes HX from carby to delco in the next few months & have both VN & VS auto looms here.
HQ355
cars: HQ Holden

Post by HQ355 »

From my understanding the later boxes are better, they have better pumps and other parts that they swap into the early cable type ones (been a while since I've put a cable one in a car) and as a bonus you don't have to stuff around with the geometry of the cable if your not running a standard throttle body set up
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Adding another one to the list lol, brothers auto in his VR ute lost drive in 3rd suddenly yesterday. Seems to be slipping real bad? all other gears are fine.

2nd auto in less than 18 months. :roll:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
The1

Post by The1 »

it's a better box as it's a newer series like anything improves over time, but still has issues, sunshell breaking, 3-4 burnup are still the common ones, sonnax has fix's for those as delco mentioned, reducing the clutch pack clearance and using good quality clutches helps, they make a hardened shell to fix the ring breaking. There's even a factory fix "The Beast" sunshell from acdelco. The E series if your into tuning gives you any options for the shifting and line pressure etc compared to the older non electric setups
v8slrtorana
cars: HX Holden 5ltr EFI
HX Holden 5ltr carby

Post by v8slrtorana »

So this happened.
A few weeks ago now i brought myself a Autometer speed sensor. http://www.autometer.com/hall-effect-sp ... ender.html
For me, its perfect as it allows my standard cable driven speedo to continue working.
Need to get the PPK right again now the t400 is back in, but it does work.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

hey man. great HX. by having that in place will that feed the signal back to the ECU that it usually gets from the speedo?? by virtue of the fact theres a cable there i'm taking it theres a standard cable arrangement HX speedo sitting in your dash yeah?

i've had several 4L60E over the years. by far the worst i had was the one in my 96 VS Berlina. Horrid thing. had to be replaced under warranty. My TH700 in the VNs and a V8 were sound as. And the two 4L60E in my VX and my missus VX are rock solid.

knowing my luck watch me eat my words now ;)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.