VS sc V6 unstable idle issue

Tuning The Delco In Realtime
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Re: VS sc V6 unstable idle issue

Post by pman92 »

I don't believe the distance of the MAF would be an issue.

As originally said I would be making 100% sure there is no leaks post MAF, and then making sure again. Both induction leaks after the MAF before the throttle body, and vacuum leaks after the throttle body, and leaks after the blower.
This rules out any unmetered air.

Next thing I would be checking is you said it has an LS2 style MAF. Is this signalling the ECU the correct signal of air? I don't know much about interchanging MAF's, but maybe try a standard MAF temporarily? If the MAF says you have 50 g/s when you really have 70 g/s it's going to run lean for example. Someone else can probably be more helpful with the compatibility of the different MAF.
This is to rule out incorrect air metering.

Another thing to look into is how the air flows through the MAF, is it a straight section before it flows through or is there a 90 degree elbow just before which could be causing turbulence and giving an incorrect reading?
Again to rule out incorrect air metering.

What your trying to make sure is the air metering is correct. If your really keen you could probably do a rough calculation of what MAF reading you should have at x rpm from MAP and guessed VE? Just to make sure it's in the ball park.

If the air metering is good, there's only really 2 other things that could cause it to run lean. Fuel pressure or the tune.
Check fuel pressure. If it's as it should, is the tune setup for the injectors? Etc etc
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

Also don't worry about the hole or IAC steps or idle speed until you have the fuel right or close to right.
If you fix the furling and it sits steady at 1200rpm then you can block the hole or whatever, or if it's stuck at 650rpm and the IAC is wide open you can enlarge it or crack the throttle further or whatever is required
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
vHell83
cars: Supercharged VH V6

Post by vHell83 »

So i took the tape ofr the tb blade and it does the same thing. The intake temps are rising fast, it reaponds to throttle only when the revs are up but doesn't sound right.

I have had the connections off. Checked over the gaskets n replaced the elbow and inner tb one which takes stock ecotec style.

https://youtu.be/64SYacSuQ3I

Heres what it is doing. Note that it is me who is touching the tps in the video only due to the unsteady idle and to show that it wont respond down low to the tps.
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

what timing have you got at and around idle?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
kojab
cars: VT V6 supercharged in a corolla

Post by kojab »

vlad01 wrote:I got some one perfect for you. He is a wizz at maf and e85 l67 and based in Melbourne. He uses The1's code and tuner pro too.

I'll pm you the details tonight.
It's obvious to me your engine is running far too lean to Idle

Did you take vlad01 advice about the perfect tuner for you?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

long story short, turns out I know the OP and I also knew that he knows the guy I suggested once I knew who he was.

Yeah this tuner also had trouble getting it to run correctly which makes me think there is something fundamental that is being overlooked.

Also the cam has a pretty large overlap for a stock eaton SC. something like 110LSA ? Im sure he will fill us in on the specs.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
vHell83

Post by vHell83 »

Ill be the first to admit a mistake when i do one.

A rookie mistake too, the vac line wasnt clamped properly on the sc and it came off. I put it back on and its back to running again
vHell83

Post by vHell83 »

vlad01 wrote:long story short, turns out I know the OP and I also knew that he knows the guy I suggested once I knew who he was.

Yeah this tuner also had trouble getting it to run correctly which makes me think there is something fundamental that is being overlooked.

Also the cam has a pretty large overlap for a stock eaton SC. something like 110LSA ? Im sure he will fill us in on the specs.

Yes. The cam has 108 LSA.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

vHell83 wrote:Ill be the first to admit a mistake when i do one.

A rookie mistake too, the vac line wasnt clamped properly on the sc and it came off. I put it back on and its back to running again

are you talking about the bypass vac line?
vHell83

Post by vHell83 »

vlad01 wrote:
vHell83 wrote:Ill be the first to admit a mistake when i do one.

are you talking about the bypass vac line?

The one that goes on the brake booster.

While the car runs it still goes lean on idle and it has this awful squeaking noise which has lost me. Comes and goes and gets louder with the throttle punched. Its also mainly just there at low to mid low rpm