vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Cooling systems

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Reverse impeller wouldn't work on our engines though...

Given the option, I know which one I'd pick....
The bottom one is the only kind I had the luck of seeing personally. :thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
pman92
cars: HZ One Tonner
VE Ute

Post by pman92 »

The reverse impeller would require the engine to rotate the opposite direction (eg marine application?)
Re routing the serpentine belt would not change the direction of pump rotation.

It is a centrifugal pump, the centrifugal force in the pump moves the coolant. Hence they ALWAYS flow from pump centre (coming in from bottom hose through timing cover to centre of pump on V6) to outside (exiting out both smaller outlets through timing cover and into block on both sides on V6).

Fitting the reverse impeller without changeling direction of engine rotation would mean it wouldn't pump very well at all.
If you changed direction of rotation it would then pump well again, but still in the same direction as standard (from centre to outside).

If you were to run a reverse flow cooling system it would either require removal of the factory pump and use of an external one, or a custom timing cover that connects block inlets to centre of pump, and bottom hose to outside of pump
VR-VY Holden BCM Simulator: View Post
MrModule.com.au
Charlescrown
cars: V8 VR Commodore BT1
LB Lancer 2L turbo & Delco
Starion TBI with Delco
Mitsubishi Lancer EVO4 track car
NA MX5
3 vintage motor bikes

Post by Charlescrown »

I am sure that water pump pic is definitely one for marine as stated. They don't work if you spin them the other way. Boy what a trap if you fitted the wrong one. Lets not overlook the problem with galvanic corrosion. Lead and alloy don't mix. With the introduction of alloy components starting with water pumps and thermostat housings ending up with all alloy engines makes real good sense to also have an alloy radiator. Alloy also has a better resistance to atmospheric corrosion hence the reason they painted the copper radiators. The cost saving must be quiet high for manufacturers these days.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Thanks for the detailed description pman. Unfortunately I still can't visualise it (I'm a hands on visual learner) so I'm just going to have to trust you on that one.

I'll do more research before I jump in at the deep end with this idea.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Yesterday after the missus got home, lifted the bonnet to check a few things over. Out of curiosity I checked the top and bottom radiator hoses. Top house was in the "ouch, burny" temp range but the lower hose I could hold quiet easily. Nothing scientific about it, at some later stage I'll take some actual temps with my laser gun.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

fucking hell VSH thats awesome. not come across anything like that man. thanks for sharing man
yeah i have spent a fair bit of time in DCs over the years, Next, Fuji, Global Switch. Not come across anything like that man.

immo get one of those infrared thermometers....

pman32. finally 'saw' what you're saying. like MAGP says, i learn visually too, so takes a bit for shit to sink in.
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

psyolent wrote:fucking hell VSH thats awesome. not come across anything like that man. thanks for sharing man
yeah i have spent a fair bit of time in DCs over the years, Next, Fuji, Global Switch. Not come across anything like that man.

immo get one of those infrared thermometers....

pman32. finally 'saw' what you're saying. like MAGP says, i learn visually too, so takes a bit for shit to sink in.
.... yeah, one of those things I got.

Hands up all those who are dyslexic? :shh:
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

immortality wrote:Hands up all those who are dyslexic? :shh:
Not me, although I think I may be lysdexic ;)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Yeah i could do with that! oh wait, thats dyslexia
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
psyolent
cars: VN S Pack
VX Berlina Series 1
XP Falcon ex Geelong Taxi
RN105 V8 Hilux
VT Series 1 Track Car

Post by psyolent »

dysfunctional, yes. dyslexic, probably ;)
Cheers,
Greg aka Sir Burnie Tanington

VX1 Berlina V6, VT1 Berlina V6 (Track), VN1 S V6, Hilux RN105 GMV8, Ford XP 170.