vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Cooling systems

Post by vlad01 »

I just buy the local mechanic shop ones which I recall are master part brand box, with GMB jap made pumps in them, over the last 10 years of playing with v6s I have yet to see one like you mention.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Here's a link and some details that may interest you http://www.climtechsolutions.com/improv ... n-bennett/
I think you may have already been talking to Darryl on another forum.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Possibly.

I think I posted that link on AV8
wozza
cars: VR commodore

Post by wozza »

immortality wrote:Previous pumps I've bought have been pressed steel impellers.

Last time I went to repco to get a water pump all the ones they had on the shelf were pressed steel too, even the GMB ones :(
Have a look at the Gates water pumps they have cast impellers...Ive always used gates stuff as it works and is at a bottom feeder price point ;)
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Gates certainly not crap quality. :thumbup:
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality

Post by immortality »

Generally speaking I try to use either GMB or Gates.

I think I'm starting to develop a little plan, I think the inline thermostat housing will be the easiest piece to get, some of the other bits might take a bit more thought or custom fabrication.

edit:there are a few other little changes I've been thinking about. Personally I've always been a fan of the VN V6 s1 cooling system that is self bleeding. Thinking of making some minor changes so the L67 works on a similar concept. With thermostat fitting in lower radiator hose it actually makes the conversion easier I think.

Got other things to do first but once I get the LIM sorted and the diff this will be the next little project.
commodorenut
cars: VY Monaro 427ci SuperCharged
VK Group A LS2 671 Supercharged ( in the build )

Post by commodorenut »

i have used heaps of these in the past and never had any issues,

Even on turbo charged V6's

immortality

Post by immortality »

Yeah, I've used one exactly like that on our old ecotec. Seemed to run fine. Looking at it, although it is pressed steel the blades do have a slight curve to them which probably makes a difference. The examples of poor quality WP's have all had pressed steel impellers but with straight blades. Ideally though I'd prefer one with a cast impeller. Fairly sure all the large industrial pumps we use at work on our cooling systems all have cast impellers. We move a large volume of water around a very large plant so plenty of flow/pressure etc.
commodorenut
cars: VY Monaro 427ci SuperCharged
VK Group A LS2 671 Supercharged ( in the build )

Post by commodorenut »

All the newer water pumps are all pressed steel now, due to alot higher cost to manufacture the cast impeller.

The only issue ive come across with the steel impellers is they do start to rust if the correct coolant is not used in the engine..

If correct coolant is used, usually the seal or bearing gives way before you have impeller issues.
immortality

Post by immortality »

I think that's fairly much the crux of it all, price point to produce a product.