vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Wireless VPN Router

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:One of my sons mates has fibre with a "up to" 100mbps plan but in reality sees no better than 20mbps.

I see a similar trend with our connection, certain times of the day/week download speeds are nowhere near what is advertised.

I get about 47/15 out of the 50/20 wireless plan I'm on outside of peak time but it does slow down to 6/6 for breif periods at the worst peak times but normally sits around that to about 15/8 ish.

With Internode I was only getting 1-2 down and often drop outs completely around mid night. On skymesh midnight actually is where I get the fastest speed lol.

I love the fact skymesh actually show way more detailed advisories than nbn do themselves on their site and I did see all of the kyneton wireless towers already need backhaul upgrades and they were onl put on like in 2015 and is at least with this isp the reason of peak time slow down. With internode it was a combo of them and the tower backhaul which is double whammy.

Unfortunately nbn co cancelled all upgrades for my area for some reason but the tech at skymesh says this is almost certainly just a reschedule, however he is asking for me to do a heaps of systematic speedtesting which is automatically logged by their server for them to look at so they can push forward what ever required support is needed, already a lot more than the old isp was currently doing for me. Don't get me wrong, internode were awesome like this too in the not too distant past but it's just not the same anymore.

The tech also stated their terms on speed guarantee as is here

" Please keep in mind that your speed will vary depending on a number of factors and you are not guaranteed to get 100% of the peak speed of your
service 100% of the time. Under the Terms and Conditions of your Customer Agreement, SkyMesh commits to providing your Service with average download
and upload Data Speeds of at least 85% of the Peak Information Rate of your Service at least 85% of the time as measured in hourly tests between 7:00
am and 11:59 pm in your local time zone. "

I'm certainly not saying my connection is shit from what I have been used to for so long but I def not meeting this guarantee, so that means something will be done about it on my behalf.

Oh one other thing I am really happy about is my ping and gaming experience is a LOT better now, whole 10ms less and even at worst peak congestion I see no issues at all. Pings do not change at all now. Old isp, unplayable lag and connection drop outs from home time to bed time, sucked balls.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Spark in NZ make no guarantee about minimum speeds only plenty of excuses why you won't see maximum speeds. Totally pathetic really.
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Is spark telstra? When i was in nz i noticed they seemed the same, same colours, same style, similar products, own the payphones and have installed the same wifi on them as telstra.

Yeah internode and adam were good SA ISPs but then bought out by iinet and consiquently tpg. The internode brand was built on having the best network and the best support. Now my adam connection is routed across what used to be internode IPs (i recognise the subnet) and in to iinet. Speed is fine but support is poor.

As far as I can tell there is only 4 tier 1 providers left - Telstra, Optus, TPG and M2. Vlad, do you know which one skymesh is connected to or owned by?
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Spark was formally Telecom the original Telco in NZ. A few years ago they were forced to sell off the copper lines network as it was a monopoly situation when all this fibre business started. The lines company is now known as Chorus.

Spark has the worst reputation in NZ for customer service followed closely by Vodafone....

Telstra NZ was bought out by Vodafone.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

Antus, you don't happen to know who Exetel is through do you? I am with them and there service is good most of the time. I'd stay with them but I don't think they service the area I hope to move to.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

TPG network I believe.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

I used to be with TPG, actually I was with Soul but they had a partial merger with TPG, for my ADSL connection and don't have much to say about their customer service. I deliberately left TPG when I got my NBN connection cause their customer service was so poor.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I also left tpg back in 2009 to go with internode because tpg was just so shit. Then they bought out iiNet which bought out internode. Game over, fuck it all. Left the other week because of the drop outs and terrible speed. Also I heard iiNet customers were having issues cancelling services and automatic payments due to staff shortages and internode were still in the process of converting their payment system to iiNet's one so I bailed before it was too late and got stuck with auto debits like many have already.
Jayme

Post by Jayme »

I have fixed wireless 50/20, through telstra. its way better than the ADSL2 I used to have, but still same as vlad, I dont get the full bandwidth. im convinced they are sneaky barstards too... no matter what time of day, speedtest reports 42/15 like they have QOS applied on their network for the speed test sites hahaha. generally when I download I get about 10 -15 megabit in peak time, 42mbit off peak times.
it did surprise me that the fixed wireless is so reliable, for a wireless service.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Jayme wrote:I have fixed wireless 50/20, through telstra. its way better than the ADSL2 I used to have, but still same as vlad, I dont get the full bandwidth. im convinced they are sneaky barstards too... no matter what time of day, speedtest reports 42/15 like they have QOS applied on their network for the speed test sites hahaha. generally when I download I get about 10 -15 megabit in peak time, 42mbit off peak times.
it did surprise me that the fixed wireless is so reliable, for a wireless service.

yeah as long at you have a low dBm its rock solid. It works on a modified version of LTE or 3G ? and a max of 70/50 is possible according to a tech whole installed the equipment at my place. Its limited 50/20 for real life speeds though. I recall it works somewhere on the 700-900Mhz band so it will be stable long distance and through trees, rain etc... compared to 2.4Ghz.

I am starting my series of tests today for the ISP too look at. 10am I got 47/13 solid. I will do the next one at about 3-4pm