Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by immortality »

gtrboyy wrote:Saw an old article on ss inductions which said remove front bonnet seal.....didn't think it tiny gap removing the rubber would make much of a difference but seems I was wrong,wants to light up rear wheel earlier but notably nicer creeping at snail's pace in traffic.
Yep, I had the same issue with the old VS with the super6 CAI but it still suffered from a lot of heat soak even with that plastic strip removed and therefor still not as good as an enclosed pod filter style intake like the MACE unit. Even SS inductions have gone to that style now. The downside is that removing that strip can effect the cooling system as high pressure air is now coming up into the intake instead of going through the radiator.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

There is no condensor nothing in front of radiator other than bumper bar so it's fairly hollow cavern up front..could make some ducting to seal it off if does become an issue.

Still has plastic cover that seals top of radiator to support so air that goes through grill & bumper bar slots cool radiator first.

Just means air through tiny 1-2cm gap between bonnet & top of radiator cover goes to otr...expected no change yet seems better
antus
Site Admin
cars: TX Gemini 2L Twincam
TX Gemini SR20 18psi
Datsun 1200 Ute
Subaru Blitzen '06 EZ30 4th gen, 3.0R Spec B

Post by antus »

Measure the MAP at WOT to compare. Need same ambient temperature, but if say max was 94kpa, then after change gets up to 96kpa then flow is better (less restriction to get closer to 100kpa ambient pressure, though due to accuracy of equipment (8bit) and atmospheric variation dont expect to see exactly 100kpa even in a perfect scenario.
Have you read the FAQ? For lots of information and links to significant threads see here: http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1396
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

I went from 91ish Kpa to the max available 96Kpa for my altitude and what a difference that made! I fitted a mace CAI and they are well worth their cost.

In one you can see the KPA slope down with RPM and falls to the 91 range.

I don't thing I have a capture with the MACE CAI fitted. I did one and it was on my build thread, but looking for those pics now is almost a lot cause.
Attachments
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (50.7 KiB) Viewed 5112 times
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Oh yeah has still room for improvement as otr looks like should be able to enlarge opening with heat gun etc just unsure how much more it can improve with 3" duct pipe from bar area to base of air box or try making Mace style airbox.

Finding it more fun to mess with this than more expensive faster cars lol

Vlad tried looking for mods you've done but too easily get lost in all those pages.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

its not worth the hassle, just buy one and be done. The stock air box will never flow that good, even if half of it is removed.

You got practically all the same mods already apart from a proper CAI and I'm tipping you still have the bell mouth in the manifold elbow still installed? if you do. Toss it. I did the tune to be run without it.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Took plastic bellmouth out early on...ran very rough so chopped in half,chamfered edges & put back in...ran much smoother.

Only real difference was the sound...cleaning pcv made more of a difference.

Wouldn't mind taking it to wsid after do a few more things.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

you'll have to remove it. They cause loss of torque and the front cylinders to run lean and the rear to run rich, once removed the air distribution improves a lot.

See this dyno chart. Green is no bellmouth, red-pink are with.
Attachments
IMG_2152.JPG
gtrboyy
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

No worries will take it out when changing memcal over.

So only difference atm is mine has holden otr & short Genies...yours has Mace airbox & pacmakers?
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

yes that's correct