Sluggish vp t5 v6

Holden/Delco Tuning. ALDL, OBD 1.5. Circa 1989 to 2004.
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Re: Sluggish vp t5 v6

Post by gtrboyy »

A mate came over today his diagnosis is 'ocd owner of $900 ute' haha

Said it drives & behaves quite good for what it is.

Seems to be getting quieter...must admit I probably got carried away rebuilding half the car.

Thought Series 2 buick put out more power than Series 1?
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Slightly more yes but they tamed it down. The original VN had a slightly shorter duration but more lift cam the later ones got a little more duration but less lift and much revised tunes with less timing in em. The early VN's came on hard but were all over and done with fairly quickly where as the later ones revved a little more.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

The VN1 3.8 engines were imported from the US, the VN2-VR 3.8 engines were built here after Holden got all the tooling setup. The differences in camshafts are listed here
gtrboyy
cars: vp 'moo mang' ute
torana
bombadores

Post by gtrboyy »

Vp memcal is either a recall or some aftermarket job maybe ebay

White sticker inside with black typing no silver sticker with code

VSV GM V6
STB rpm 5.5

Anyone seen or know what above is?

Spare ecu in shed has ATFY 4410
^^ think it might have come from series 1 vn manual engine

Other weird thing touched up solder in cluster to stop dash tapping caper,fuel gauge now works pefectly...temp guage always notchy & weird...work for a day then stop.

Earthed temp sender wire other day...did nothing as expected...minutes later temp needle lauched itself at the speedo,still in middle of cluster lol
vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

MAGP wrote:The VN1 3.8 engines were imported from the US, the VN2-VR 3.8 engines were built here after Holden got all the tooling setup. The differences in camshafts are listed here
No V6 other than the alloytech was built here, only had the Aussie specific ancillaries, pan and intake fitted. long blocks including ecotec were supplied from Michigan If I recall correctly.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
MAGP
cars: VC V8 sedan, VS V6 wagon, VT V8 Landcruiser.

Post by MAGP »

vlad01 wrote:
MAGP wrote:The VN1 3.8 engines were imported from the US, the VN2-VR 3.8 engines were built here after Holden got all the tooling setup. The differences in camshafts are listed here
No V6 other than the alloytech was built here, only had the Aussie specific ancillaries, pan and intake fitted. long blocks including ecotec were supplied from Michigan If I recall correctly.
http://www.news.com.au/finance/business ... 65222b8458
After briefly sourcing a Nissan six-cylinder for the Commodore in the mid-1980s, Holden began making its own V6 (albeit shared with a Buick design) between 1989 and 2003.

Holden switched to the new generation “high feature” V6 in late 2003. The 1 millionth example of this engine will be kept at Holden’s head office.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

immortality wrote:Vlad, how often do you change the oil and do you use good quality oil? I'm just wondering why your engines always suffer from failed lifters?

I have a early VN engine in the garage, I believe it was well over 200,000km when I stripped it. Lifters were fine, rollers and cam look perfect with no lifter noise etc. I did find the chain tensioner in the sump which was the source of the extra engine noise it did have.
Penrite 10/10th full syn competition/racing oil 15W60. Every 5K, HPR semi syn was what the vacationer used to get. I had UOA done at by a lab, showed up fine by UOA shows up fine particles and atomic metals, not bigger whole chunks sitting in the sump.

So far only the VR has had no cam damage and lifters are ok, all other engines.

What I found is the lobes at the end of the cam shed some of the case hardening in chunks but it stabilizes at a point and no more major bits break off. the lifter roller usually has no damage but I have had one case of pitting on the roller for a particularly bad lobe. So I believe there is issues with the cam material or casting process as it always seems to be the ends of the cam that suffer this issue. I have some pics of this when I get back home on Friday

The issue is exacerbated by driving style. I beat the shit out of all my cars so it just speeds it up. As for the lifters not holding up and rattling, thats entirely result of abuse lol. In reality how many are driven sensibly?
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Slap a vp tune in it Baan or baam code see how it runs
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

doesn't hurt to try.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Garbage deleted, back to topic please
According to chemistry, alcohol is a solution...