eeproms???

EPROM EEPROM SRAM NVRAM Flash chips, reading/writing hardware and software
mattyc

eeproms???

Post by mattyc »

hey guys,

pretty new to the whole tuning of vn-vs/vt commodores,

i have got myself a moates ostrich and chip burner, also cables to do the 28 and 32 pin chips,

now im looking at eeproms to buy to get me started, its pretty hard to find what model computers take what sizes,

also i have done a little searching and found some eeproms, 27sf512's which are 28 pin, and 27sf010 which are 32 pin,

im hoping if i were to buy these that they should work and cover me to do most model computers vn-vt?

i have vcm suite tuning for all my alloytec and gen3/4 needs, but looking at playing with some earlier v6 and v8's that mates have requested,

also have the dyno at work for testing purposes, its just a matter of selecting some chips to burn onto and get started.

any help will be appreciated.

thanks Matty
yoda69
cars: 2004 VYII Acclaim Wagon V6 Auto LPG/Petrol
2004 VYII Berlina sedan V6 Auto
2005 VZ Monaro CV8 manual

Re: eeproms???

Post by yoda69 »

Mattyc,
Wouldn't worry too much with the chips, get a UV eraser and erase and reprogram, it's much easier than unsoldering a chip, then resolder on a socket.
I have a couple I socketed for the Ostrich, but then got a moates G1 adapter for the 28pin (up to 64k bins) stuff along with the Ostrich it allows the knock sensor (where fitted) to be used when tuning.
Craig hasn't got the G6 adapter for the 32 pin (128k bins) listed yet, but it shouldn't be far away as most of the bugs to use with TP5 and the Ostrich are now sorted (Thanks Craig and Mark for your support with this). I have a how to guide planned on this, hopefully over the next week or two.
As a guide for chip sizes:
28 pins
128.....16k bins.....VN/VP Commodores
256.....32k bins.....VR Manual, VS V8 Manual Commodores
512.....64K bins.....VR Auto, VS V8 Auto Commodores

32pin
010.....128k bins...VS V6, VS Series 3 V8, VT V6 V8 (Series 1), VX-Y Supercharged 6

You can fit smaller bins onto a bigger chip by stacking.
One thing to be careful of, is that the 28 pin chips come with NETRES (calpaks, pr whatever else you want to cal them), these are cylinder specific, so only use a V8 on a V8 etc, or modify then as per one of the other posts on this site. The 32 pin chips are really just an EPROM holder and can be used in any vehicle.

Hope this helps,

yoda69
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

thanks for the info,

i have already brought the chip burner, so i think ill go with the soldering and desoldering to start with, at least then i can have the standard eproms if required at a later date,

so would the 2 x style of eeproms i am looking at cover me for both 28 and 32 pin? the 32 pin ones are 1 meg and the 28 pin ones are 512k

ive got a few spare ecu's to have a play with to desolder etc.

cheers mat
mattyc

Post by mattyc »

hey guys,

Need to know if those eeprom chips will be ok to use, i have a vn 5lt and also a vt 5lt to start tuning, and i need to order chips in for them.

cheers mat
charlay86
cars: VT S1 SS (L67)

Post by charlay86 »

Yep, those will be fine :thumbup: