vlad01
cars: VP I S
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Re: Dusto's Tonner

Post by vlad01 »

There is different thermostat housings at different angles available, about 3-4 types from US alone , you can also try an L67 aussie housing. Which should point it straight forward.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
delcowizzid

Post by delcowizzid »

Yanks love the Aussie version my mate sent heaps over there
If Its Got Gas Or Ass Count Me In.if it cant be fixed with a hammer you have an electrical problem
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Not sure why because they flow terrible compared the US ones. We have had them extensively tested. The US ones stock flow vastly more than fully honed and ported aussie ones. Not sure on the limits of the US ones but easy flow over 300 cfm on a single port. The runners of the US ones are about double in cross sectional area over the aussie ones, also the TB inlet opening is about 50-70% larger than ported aussie ones as well. I think it was about 80-90mm? round inlet (for series 3) , vs about 65 x 50mm oval on ours.

They are effectively like a good LS intake in capability.

That said, its not the same case as the buick intake we have, ours for the series 2 VN to VR is something else entirely, its truly and awesome manifold, only held back by the removable elbow and small TB. The US had a the VN S1 type for a bit and then some weird bannana/cross ram LIM type thing which as far as I can tell is quite small.

Not much point comparing the buick ones as far as yanks are concerned the pre-ecotec engines never existed over there. Shame they couldn't see the trees from the woods as that ones one of the best v6s in the buick family they ever made.
I'm the director of VSH (Vlad's Spec Holden), because HSV were doing it ass about.
dusto
cars: VE Maloo GXP
VY Tonner L67
Captiva
SV1000s
ER6-Race bike

Post by dusto »

sounds pretty easy to spin the manifold, Welding the manifold isnt an issue for me, nor is having things machined, how come u need to block stuff anyway, wont it line up with the other head? or am i missing somthing else?
OZ38
cars: VY V6 Commodore ute.
VS V6 Commo sedan.
VT V6 powered 4x4 Hilux ute.

Post by OZ38 »

delcowizzid wrote:Yanks love the Aussie version my mate sent heaps over there
I too have sent a couple of sets across the pond. The Americans certainly chase after them when wanting to turbo the L67's.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

dusto wrote:sounds pretty easy to spin the manifold, Welding the manifold isnt an issue for me, nor is having things machined, how come u need to block stuff anyway, wont it line up with the other head? or am i missing somthing else?

Lines up with the heads perfectly, after all they are symmetrical.
There is a lot of useless coolant, EGR and various other lines that we don't use here for example throttle body heating like jap crap cars have.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

OZ38 wrote:
I too have sent a couple of sets across the pond. The Americans certainly chase after them when wanting to turbo the L67's.
As far as I know it makes install of IC to manifold plumbing a bit easier in a FWD car, but not much easier. I guess they are just naive to the performance losses when doing so. Most of their engines are the plastic type manifold so that might be another reason, but like I linked the last gen 3800 has all alloy bananas and also a much better TB inlet design, perfect for LS TB adaption.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

vlad01 wrote:
OZ38 wrote:
As far as I know it makes install of IC to manifold plumbing a bit easier in a FWD car, but not much easier. I guess they are just naive to the performance losses when doing so. Most of their engines are the plastic type manifold so that might be another reason, but like I linked the last gen 3800 has all alloy bananas and also a much better TB inlet design, perfect for LS TB adaption.
Maybe it has something to do with the torque curves between the manifolds?

If I'm not mistaken the US manifold makes better peak power but lacks low rpm performance which is an issue in a moderately heavy car, same problem in our V6 Commodores with the ecotec (in stock configuration), they lack torque as soon as you get a bit of weight in the car.
vlad01
VP I executive
VP II executive
VP II executive #2
VR II executive

Post by vlad01 »

Well a severely choked manifold isn't going to make more of either.

Soon enough I will know for sure as G's engine is nearing completion and is coupled with bananas.
immortality
cars: VH, VN, VS, VX

Post by immortality »

Ecotec engines have made plenty of power with the stock intake and a turbo bolted on.....

G's engine is a bit different to your average Joe daily driver!