PCM Hammer P01 and P59 flash tool v015

They go by many names, P01, P59, VPW, '0411 etc. Also covering E38 and newer here.
Tazzi
cars: VE SS Ute

Re: PCM Hammer - new ls1 flash tool

Post by Tazzi »

For anyone trying to compile the source, I just found I needed to install the .NET Core 2.0 before it would compile:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/v ... tudio-sdks

So I have done the following modifications which I am interested to see if makes the difference for anyone having problems currently in car.

After sending the request permission for high speed mode: 6C F0 10 E0 AA
It will search for the response from the PCM (0x10), and if its a success response, it will then loop and send a tester present 4 times with a 500ms delay to ensure all modules have had a chance to update.

Then moving to the actual high speed change over frame: TX: 6C FE F0 A1
I have removed the code which 'waits' for any responses since there should not be any. After sending that, it waits 500ms before switching to 4x to ensure all modules have swapped then again loops 4 times with 500ms delay to ensure all modules are seeing the new 4x frames.

Basically the whole point of this is to ensure all modules have responded by giving a good 2second wait between those two requests. And also ensuring that the Nano is not put into 4x mode until all modules have done so. This is due to the VPW transceiver automatically switching to 1x if detecting any 'invalid' timings. So if there is any delayed 1x broadcast frames from other modules in the car sent after the scantool switches to 4x can cause it to automatically switch to 1x again.

Attached is compiled modified version of the app for anyone that wants to try.
Attachments
Release 8 - Modified Highspeed Request.zip
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 198 times
Your Local Aussie Reverse Engineer
Contact for Software/Hardware development and Reverse Engineering
Site:https://www.envyouscustoms.com
Mob:+61406 140 726
I420tom

Post by I420tom »

Anybody have a use for these two spare intel ab28f800 flash chips I have? Should be a direct replacement for the p59 intel
Attachments
20191127_115655.jpg
Monaro
cars: Monaro ls1

Post by Monaro »

Tazzi wrote:Actually, I believe I see the problem there.

Ok.. so I just did a full read (On bench) and took only 4:30sec (not including the 30seconds done calculating CRCs at the end).
Whereas looking at your log... it took 5mins just to get to 62%.

When looking at the timestamps between each block for me, here is about a 1second difference. Im almost certain you are running at 1x and not 4x so you will likely have a 3-4sec difference?

Now looking back at your log:

Code: Select all

10:03:49:472]  Attempting switch to VPW 4x
[10:03:49:477]  TX: 6C FE F0 A0
[10:03:49:507]  RX: 6C F0 10 E0 AA
[10:03:49:507]  Parsing 6C F0 10 E0 AA
[10:03:49:507]  Module 0x10 (engine controller) has agreed to enter high-speed mode.
[10:03:49:512]  Sending 'test device present' notification.
[10:03:49:512]  TX: 8C FE F0 3F
[10:03:51:523]  ReadMsgs OBDError: ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY
[10:03:51:523]  Sending 'test device present' notification.
[10:03:51:523]  TX: 8C FE F0 3F
[10:03:51:528]  TX: 6C FE F0 A1
[10:03:53:539]  ReadMsgs OBDError: ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY
[10:03:53:539]  J2534 setting VPW 4X
[10:03:53:664]  Sending 'test device present' notification.
[10:03:53:664]  TX: 8C FE F0 3F
[10:03:53:669]  Sending 'test device present' notification.
[10:03:53:669]  TX: 8C FE F0 3F
Theres a 2second gap between tester present frames, so I am wondering if thats long enough to cause it to drop out of 4x mode.

Thanks for your time on this - with your note about response time and pinpointing a possible comms issue with the nano I have double checked the com 3 port settings and changed the latency timer to 1 - previously on 16 as standard - should've remembered to check this earlier.
I've done another full read and we have success. It did a full read and validation. in 8m 43sec
I've attached the full debug file from this read as there are 2 spots that it shows 'ReadMsgs OBDError: ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY' - the first time when switching to VPW 4X and at the end - 99% when switching to Validate but continues to process to end properly.
Not sure if these are anything to worry about.

Also - I'll give your modified version a run - This p59 is not in a car but happy to test anyway.
Attachments
P59 Test Read J2534 Com 3 Latency 1.docx
(526.08 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Monaro wrote: Thanks for your time on this - with your note about response time and pinpointing a possible comms issue with the nano I have double checked the com 3 port settings and changed the latency timer to 1 - previously on 16 as standard - should've remembered to check this earlier.
I've done another full read and we have success. It did a full read and validation. in 8m 43sec
I've attached the full debug file from this read as there are 2 spots that it shows 'ReadMsgs OBDError: ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY' - the first time when switching to VPW 4X and at the end - 99% when switching to Validate but continues to process to end properly.
Not sure if these are anything to worry about.

Also - I'll give your modified version a run - This p59 is not in a car but happy to test anyway.
Keep the latency at the default value, you shouldn't need to play with that at all. Also make sure you are running the newest firmware on your Nano. Every nano I have gotten in from the manufacture has needed to be updated.

If you get a chance, try the revision I made above.
Monaro

Post by Monaro »

Tazzi wrote:For anyone trying to compile the source, I just found I needed to install the .NET Core 2.0 before it would compile:
https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/v ... tudio-sdks

So I have done the following modifications which I am interested to see if makes the difference for anyone having problems currently in car.

After sending the request permission for high speed mode: 6C F0 10 E0 AA
It will search for the response from the PCM (0x10), and if its a success response, it will then loop and send a tester present 4 times with a 500ms delay to ensure all modules have had a chance to update.

Then moving to the actual high speed change over frame: TX: 6C FE F0 A1
I have removed the code which 'waits' for any responses since there should not be any. After sending that, it waits 500ms before switching to 4x to ensure all modules have swapped then again loops 4 times with 500ms delay to ensure all modules are seeing the new 4x frames.

Basically the whole point of this is to ensure all modules have responded by giving a good 2second wait between those two requests. And also ensuring that the Nano is not put into 4x mode until all modules have done so. This is due to the VPW transceiver automatically switching to 1x if detecting any 'invalid' timings. So if there is any delayed 1x broadcast frames from other modules in the car sent after the scantool switches to 4x can cause it to automatically switch to 1x again.

Attached is compiled modified version of the app for anyone that wants to try.

I know you're after some in car tests but I did a read with this on the bench with success - might be of use - debug file attached shows ReadMsgs OBDError: ERR_BUFFER_EMPTY at 99% when switching to validate after read but no other errors.
Cheers :thumbup:
Attachments
PCM8 MOD TEST Debug file.docx
(525.66 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Its odd yours is so much slower than my reads.

I am done in about 4minutes 30sec. Your up around the 9min mark, taking about 1.8seconds to process per block.

I think you might need a firmware update. Here is a link to the latest VX manager: http://www.vxdiag.net/managecenter/download/vxdiag.zip
Monaro

Post by Monaro »

My Nano still running original firmware 1.4 - updated to latest 1.6 and read is half the time - Thanks for the Tip!
Tazzi

Post by Tazzi »

Monaro wrote:My Nano still running original firmware 1.4 - updated to latest 1.6 and read is half the time - Thanks for the Tip!
Excellent! May help with stability as well. I believe there was some mention in the change logs for firmware updates.

They devs have recently been doing quite a bit of development after being quite for a few years. Due to the increase in popularity with J tools as they are being supported in alot of softwares.
I420tom

Post by I420tom »

successful read log and compare log attached p59 in car

one parameter section crc difference in the quick compare? Pcm hammer says its normal.
Attachments
sucessfull read and verifiy with orig OS.txt
(18.43 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
sucessful quick compare.txt
(2.66 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
I420tom

Post by I420tom »

Now that think about it, It's absolutely possible the Different Parameter was my doing.
The file i used in the quick compare I believe was an older bdm file for this pcm. I apologize for not being extremely organized as I was only focused on IDing the intel flash chip at this point when I made these logs.